Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone going to Widener DE fall 2005?  (Read 28040 times)

g825

• View Profile
Re: Anyone going to Widener DE fall 2005?
« Reply #110 on: July 26, 2005, 07:55:58 PM »
My luck it will rain for the next 2 weeks straight.

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 26, 2005, 08:00:21 PM »

It's not supposed to.  I used to be a weather forecaster, sure I was a bad weather forecaster, but the Weather Channel says sunshine.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

g825

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 26, 2005, 10:27:27 PM »

It's not supposed to.  I used to be a weather forecaster, sure I was a bad weather forecaster, but the Weather Channel says sunshine.

WooHoo!!

soontobeout

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 30, 2005, 08:47:31 AM »
Welcome 1L's.  I'm new to this board but I thought I'd give some input as a Widener 3L.   You're going to have the time of your life in law school.  Widener is an especially pleasant experience because there is a lack of cut-throat competitiveness that you'll find at higher tier schools.  The friends you make at Widener will be friends for life.  Campus Cruiser is a critical tool - make yourself familiar with it as soon as possible - it's how you get your roster, register for classes, get your grades and class ranking, and how you get e-mails from classmates (especially wonderful when you have to miss a class and need notes or assignments). 

Just remember the old law school truism:  "1st year they work you to death, 2nd year they scare you to death, 3rd year they bore you to death."  By the way, I'm a "non-traditional" student - female, over 40.  You'll meet many of us. 

Best of luck!

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 30, 2005, 10:15:18 AM »
Welcome 1L's.  I'm new to this board but I thought I'd give some input as a Widener 3L.   You're going to have the time of your life in law school.  Widener is an especially pleasant experience because there is a lack of cut-throat competitiveness that you'll find at higher tier schools.  The friends you make at Widener will be friends for life.  Campus Cruiser is a critical tool - make yourself familiar with it as soon as possible - it's how you get your roster, register for classes, get your grades and class ranking, and how you get e-mails from classmates (especially wonderful when you have to miss a class and need notes or assignments). 

Just remember the old law school truism:  "1st year they work you to death, 2nd year they scare you to death, 3rd year they bore you to death."  By the way, I'm a "non-traditional" student - female, over 40.  You'll meet many of us. 

Best of luck!

You just made my day!
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

soontobeout

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 30, 2005, 07:05:10 PM »
Correction to Earlier Post:

Law School Truism is:
1st year they scare you to death; 2nd Year they work you to death, 3rd year they bore you to death.  This is true at all law schools.  Keep it in mind.

Some other advice (hope nobody minds my input):

1.  Check the bookstore hours by calling first.  They don't always have the correct hours on the website.

2.  Absolutely do not buy any single study aid without discussing with your professor first.  Study aids are expensive and some professors are adamantly opposed to using certain ones for their classes because some of the study aids cover topics that are not covered in class.  1L professors take significant points off your exam for "off class topic" discussions.

3.  Check "ratemyprofessors.com" and look up Widener Law School in Delaware.  I think most first year professors are listed there - not alot of entries but the ones posted are right on target!  Here you may get some input about the dreaded "Widener Curve" which disappears after your 2nd year but which is alive and well in your 1st year.   

NightOwl

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 30, 2005, 07:41:32 PM »
Soontobeout, your input is completely appreciated!

1L professors take significant points off your exam for "off class topic" discussions.

This is a relief!  And it's a point I haven't heard discussed much, so thanks.

YankyKitten

• Take time and smell the flowers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - yankykitten
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: July 30, 2005, 09:18:47 PM »
Soontobeout, I certainly enjoyed the website!  Thanks!
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=YankyKitten178

"The great pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot."

g825

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 31, 2005, 10:46:58 PM »
Wow, now I'm getting scared after looking at my future prof's!!
Is anyone else starting to get nervous? Sometimes I wish it was already November, meaning that we are settled in and somewhat know what is going on. I feel like I'm walking into the unknown in 2 weeks!!!!!

YankyKitten

• Take time and smell the flowers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - yankykitten
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: July 31, 2005, 11:42:35 PM »
g, I've actually had the pleasure of having some of Widener's profs for undergrad, let me tell you not to worry yourself.  When I asked them about "mean" profs they told me I had nothing to worry about, so long as you come to class prepared.  Profs also don't approve of nastiness among students, since they consider all of us on the same level.  That said, I have seen one of them rip another student when they didn't read the assignment.  So, my advise to you is read the assignment enough to at least bs your way through a question, because it doesn't matter whether you get it right in class, only that you look like you've done the assignment.  ;)
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=YankyKitten178

"The great pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot."