Law School Discussion

Should I file Bankruptcy...

Re: Should I file Bankruptcy...
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2006, 02:06:59 AM »

Saying that no other county has a government as arrogant as the US is pretty retarded. What other country will let ambitious, potential students, regardless of economic background, borrow [...]

sWeden allows students to go for free in universities! As far as U S government and corporations are concerned, well, you already know how they should and will be punished ..

blu

« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2006, 03:07:17 AM »

As far as U S government and corporations are concerned, well, you already know how they should and will be punished ..

??

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2006, 07:35:17 PM »

Saying that no other county has a government as arrogant as the US is pretty retarded. What other country will let ambitious, potential students, regardless of economic background, borrow [...]

sWeden allows students to go for free in universities! As far as U S government and corporations are concerned, well, you already know how they should and will be punished ..

Sweden also has an incredibly high tax rate.  Until Americans are willing to see a greater portion of their income go in taxes, and until the U.S. Government learns to do better things with its money (perhaps more toward education and less towards fixing our foreign policy muck-ups and defense), we'll be paying for our education out of our own pockets.

Americans want everything, but want to give nothing at the same time.  We can't have it both ways.

« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2006, 08:33:45 PM »
My bum is on the Swedish... Swedish... SWE-E-E-DISH

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2006, 06:52:25 AM »

There is research to show that debtors who file their own Chapter 7 bankruptcy and adversary proceeding prevail more often than if an attorney is used. Most attorneys will not touch an adversary proceeding on student loans, and those that do, want at least $5,000 up front with additional high hourly fees. You know your situation best and it is suggested that you try to do this yourself. Even if you retain an attorney, you will have to perform most of the financial research needed to prove undue hardship.

You bet! I contacted several attorneys and they were like, what the hell are you talking about, I still am paying student loans and I am 45 .. just do it yourself even if that means that you've to dedicate hours and hours to the thing! I mean, it's much more worth to get rid of these muthaf**cking loans than to actually work for $10/hr lol!

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2006, 03:28:13 PM »

Student loans are real loans just as real as car loans or mortgages. You have to pay back your student loans.

Can you discharge mortgages in bankruptcy?

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2006, 04:14:11 PM »

Student loans are real loans — just as real as car loans or mortgages. You have to pay back your student loans.

Can you discharge mortgages in bankruptcy?

Ummm... yeah... but then you lose your house...

align

« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2006, 12:48:42 AM »
I've heard that you can keep your house when you file for bankruptcy. Of course you'd have to keep making payments. But mortgages are not dischargeable in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2006, 08:03:21 AM »
I've heard that you can keep your house when you file for bankruptcy. Of course you'd have to keep making payments. But mortgages are not dischargeable in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

Your absolutely right, I was just commenting on how silly it was to ask whether you could discharge a mortgage and keep the house...

It's analogous to asking: "Hey man, if I voluntarily have my car repoed, can I keep it?"

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2006, 03:48:41 PM »
It's really unfortunate that you can't file for bankruptcy, get rid of the mortgage and keep the house. For example, before 1997 it was possible to file for bankruptcy, get rid of student loans and keep & use the degree. Well, I guess that's because a degree is just a "piece of paper," less valuable than a house .. :)