Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Active, engaged learner or gunner?  (Read 7495 times)

shambala

• View Profile
Re: Active, engaged learner or gunner?
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2005, 10:13:02 PM »
People who talk all the time are seen as stupid in law school

zaphod

• worst dressed sentient being in the galaxy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2005, 11:42:55 PM »
If the professor answers every question or comment you have with a joke, and all the other students laugh a little bit harder than the comment deserves, you're a gunner.
Don't Panic

danlauer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2005, 03:52:20 AM »
A gunner would be someone who does not understand he's a gunner.
To what extent can truth endure incorporation? That is the question; that is the experiment.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005, 01:27:18 PM »
If you're making politically charged comments, then you're a gunner.  I don't mean don't voice your opinion, but if you turn everything into a political debate, even if the topic really has nothing to do with policy, then you're really just wasting everyone's time.

Who is a gunner and who isn't probably has a lot to do with how they ask questions and make comments.  If you start every response with "While everyone seems to have missed the point, I could plainly see that blah blah blah blah..." then you're probably a gunner.

But if people are giving you dirty looks becuase you answer a question every class or have a intelligent question or comment now and then, your school is probably just full of jerks.

Burning Sands

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2005, 01:46:53 PM »
http://lawsloth.blogspot.com/2004_07_01_lawsloth_archive.html

You Might be a Gunner

If you were first on line to pick up the writing competition...and you camped out for it like it was tickets to star wars - you might be a gunner.

If you bring up your work or life experience in class ("Well, when I worked at the State Department....") - you might be a gunner.

If your comments in class often being "Well, this doesn't answer your question, but" or "I know this is off-topic but I just wanted to mention...." - you might be a gunner.

If your professor has ever stated he will not call on you for the rest of the day - you might be a gunner.

If you sit in the same seat in every class, especially if it's front row center - you might be a gunner.

If when you talk, you use the biggest words you can think of, and talk slowly so it seems like you're continually thinking really hard, and you make sure to reapply concepts previously taught by the professor - you might be a gunner.

These ones especially!!!  I've seen these ones over and over and over again from our gunners.
Burning Sands

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2005, 03:14:26 PM »
All that counts is the written exam, so why put yourself out there like that just to annoy your classmates?  Sit back and soak it all in, that's my motto.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2005, 09:03:51 AM »
All that counts is the written exam, so why put yourself out there like that just to annoy your classmates? Sit back and soak it all in, that's my motto.
Some people can't just "soak it all in" without asking questions, giving comments, and staying engaged.

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2005, 10:57:33 AM »
All that counts is the written exam, so why put yourself out there like that just to annoy your classmates? Sit back and soak it all in, that's my motto.
Some people can't just "soak it all in" without asking questions, giving comments, and staying engaged.

What I meant was that I won't try to earn phony gunner brownie points with the professors because I know the written exams don't have the students' names on them.  Could you imagine sucking up all sememster, going to all the office hours, and still getting a C- ?  Har Har!

3.0 (3.82), 166

Postmodern Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2005, 11:48:13 AM »
I think because there are other benefits beyond grades that sucking up can provide (LORs, contacts, etc).  Having taught myself, I know that I have a vauge memory of my best students, but I clearly remember the ones who were always engaged, approached me before/after class, and generally did things that looked like "sucking up."  Whether these efforts were sincere or not, they still create a positive feeling on the part of the teacher, and rarely hurt one's relationship with professors.  Many students would rather be friends with professors than with other students, so this gunner philosophy is well understood, at least be my anyway.

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2005, 01:14:02 PM »
Would you rather have the respect and contact"ability" with a couple of professors or the peer contacts you would have gained with your classmates if they didn't hate your freakin' guts?!

3.0 (3.82), 166