Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is it possible to transfer from a 4Tier like Cooley to a 2Tier or 3Tier?  (Read 8130 times)

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
No I got As in their classes so that helped. I look at the profiles of my professors. Being a law professor is a snobby thing too. It counts to be a law professor at a top school. So I targeted my professors who had degrees from top schools. I figure that they would be more understanding about wanting to transfer up and have better options than what's available at my current school. Like I stated above, my current law school has maybe 50 firms come to the campus for OCI and Georgetown has 500 firms, companies, etc. I also have a very specific reason why I am in law school and that specialization isn't offered at my current school. Well it's offered but it doesn't have the extensive course selection and reputation in the specialization that Georgetown has. When you lay it out to a professor like this, it's easy for them to understand.

I also told them that I thought the LSAT was a poor indicator of my abilities. And my undergrad school is a strong and well known school so with all these factors, I just emphasize to my professors that my grades were not a fluke, etc. So it worked out for me. I was so scared when I went to talk to them. But I calmed down and organized my thoughts and wrote them down. One of my professors told me that by writing everything down, it showed that I had really thought things out. So that was nice.

Was it hard to get recommendation letters from your professor? Especially after not being there for a whole year befoe transferring.

crissy00

• View Profile
    • Email
jdohno,

Georgetown is so competitive how were you able to make your application stand out?

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
First, I had a high first semester GPA. Second, Georgetown is ranked #2 in the legal specialization I want to go into. They have a huge amount of courses in the subject and some well knowned professors that I would love to have. I pretty much wrote my transfer personal statement to reflect why I wanted to transfer from my current school (because it doesn't have the huge course selection of GT) and the resources that Georgetown has. I also wrote in my personal statement something like since GT has such a huge selection of courses in my legal field vs my current school, I wouldn't have to get a LLM right away. Something like that. I was also pretty detailed in the courses I wanted to take and the professors I hope to have. I tried to really express to Georgetown what I wanted to do with my JD and their prominence in the legal field I want to practice in. I think that approach works instead of telling a school that you just want to transfer up. Given my school's rank, I knew that Georgetown would assume that I wanted to move up.

jdohno,

Georgetown is so competitive how were you able to make your application stand out?

crissy00

• View Profile
    • Email
I started researching law schools that have Spring Admission for transfers. The DC are seems to have some good schools Georgetown, George Washington, and American University not only that but they have Spring Admission! I'm going to continue my search, for schools with Spring Admission, if anyone knows of other schools I may have over looked that have Spring Admissions please let me know.

Thanks

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Don't forget to use the Yahoo transfer board. They have a database that also might help you out. Good luck Crissy. I hope you are able to transfer out of Cooley.

I started researching law schools that have Spring Admission for transfers. The DC are seems to have some good schools Georgetown, George Washington, and American University not only that but they have Spring Admission! I'm going to continue my search, for schools with Spring Admission, if anyone knows of other schools I may have over looked that have Spring Admissions please let me know.

Thanks

NeedOut

• View Profile
kent, columbia and UMiami have spring admissions

WKRUSE

Yemaya-
Considering transferring already?  That was quick.

How did you get into Georgetown "early action"? I'm a bit confused!! Don't you have to wait until you have your first YEAR grades.... I'm also considering a transfer so excuse me if my question seems silly! ???

swordfish

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Same here I'm already planning on transferring to a school that focuses on environmental law.  I hope and pray that I can get high enough marks so that I can transfer out of my 4 tier paradise.

Yemaya

• View Profile
Will you be a 1L in the Fall?

swordfish

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
yep