Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hastings vs Loyola LA  (Read 895 times)

MisterJD

• View Profile
Hastings vs Loyola LA
« on: May 11, 2005, 06:30:36 PM »
Anybody care to state the pros and cons of Hastings and Loyola LA? What are the chances of getting a BigLaw job with a degree from either? The reason I ask this is because Loyola LA seems to be the Hastings of Southern California. Correct me if I'm wrong.

TJordan78

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hastings vs Loyola LA
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 09:56:25 PM »
pros of both: big city environment/access to courts

cons of both: downtown locations

biglaw?: possible at both. probably top 15% at loyola, maybe top 25% at hastings get this opportunity

-both are the 3rd best school in thier respective markets...

-hastings is cheaper if you are a resident, and that is deffinatly a plus.

if you want to work in sf go to hastings, if you want to work in LA go to loyola.

if you dont care really, i would go to hastings, given the cheaper tuition/better reputation

that being said i am off to loyola  haha

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 12:56:43 AM »
I agree with the above poster.  To pick the school in the city you will most likely want to practice.

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 12:25:23 AM »
I am accepted to both, and if I don't get in at the schools I am wait listed at I may end up at Hastings with you.  I love San Francisco, and hate L.A. (I am from the Orange County).  Hastings has been ranked much higher in the past, and is still ranked highly in peer reviews leading to a high respect in the legal community. The downfalls of Hastings I have seen are less resources than Loyola and lack of faculty accessibilty.   

TJordan78

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 02:18:04 AM »
true. very good point.

in true UC form, hastings is more a publish or perish environment that loyola, leaving hastings faculty more renowned in thier fields and loyola faculty with more time to spend with students.

i was recently talking to a loyola prof and he said they make very careful faculty selections based on loyolas student-oriented policy. occasionally a faculty member is let go if they are not available enough for students outside of class. as a concequence loyola faculty to not publish as much.

it is a give/take kinda thing.