Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT scores in regard to transferring  (Read 10130 times)

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT scores in regard to transferring
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 02:36:27 PM »
I agree on both counts Mon Ami. 

I would say for your typical 3.0-3.5 GPA & non-URM, a 153 puts you in a tougher spot however. Not like any one this board needs to be told that though...

Air Force JAG Corps

beanbeangirl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2005, 02:29:12 PM »
I'd be suprised if most T2s dip below 160.

Some of them do if you have a stellar undergrad GPA. Not to mention affirmative action admissions.

I got in a T1 school with LSAT score 157..that is not counting my 3 times retaks and lowest score of 148. I don't have a stellar GPA from a top 15 private school and master....

I really want to transfer to a top 20 law school....but I really really afraid that my horrible LSAT will come back and haunt me. :-\

lawsuperstar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2005, 04:43:02 PM »
Honestly, LSAT scores are not even a factor when you transfer.  I transfered from a T4 school to a T1 school with a 155 LSAT, but I was top 5% at my law school.  I really think the only thing they look at is your first year grades.

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2005, 07:15:25 PM »
Honestly, LSAT scores are not even a factor when you transfer.  I transfered from a T4 school to a T1 school with a 155 LSAT, but I was top 5% at my law school.  I really think the only thing they look at is your first year grades.

Yes, I agree. This is the case because the whole idea of the LSAT (and the heavy reliance of the law schools on it) is that it is supposed to predict first year grades*. When you outperform your predicted performance by doing well in law school in spite of your LSAT score, you have proved yourself. That is, you have proved that your LSAT score was not really representative of your ability.

*It does an OK job at it (the statistical correlation is modest), meaning that across a large group of people, those who do significantly better on the LSAT will generally perform better in law school. This does not mean that every single person who does better than someone else on the LSAT will end up doing better in law school. (Awkward grammar but you get the point.)

LTs

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2005, 09:32:53 PM »
I'd be suprised if most T2s dip below 160.

Some of them do if you have a stellar undergrad GPA. Not to mention affirmative action admissions.

I got in a T1 school with LSAT score 157..that is not counting my 3 times retaks and lowest score of 148. I don't have a stellar GPA from a top 15 private school and master....

I really want to transfer to a top 20 law school....but I really really afraid that my horrible LSAT will come back and haunt me. :-\

LOL beanbeangirl! ;)

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2005, 02:55:12 PM »
157 = a horrible score?! Gimme a break, grl

txaggie99

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2005, 10:16:52 PM »
All of this talk about you people with below average LSAT scores getting into T1 and T2 schools really pisses me off. I had a 160 with a 3.7 GPA from a good school. Then I went to work doing international tax law for a Big 5 accounting firm for 5 years. When I applied to schools I received a steady stream of rejections, waitlist to SMU and UT, and then a full ride to a T4. I guess it's not always a good thing being just another white guy in the South.

MavCarlissa

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2006, 04:31:09 PM »

Hey,
I was wondering if you could post some advice for me.  I am at a T4 (Cooley) and am seeking to transfer to a top 50 program.  I have a 3.9 having made all As except for 1 A- this Fall semester.  My LSAT is a 151 and my UGPA a 3.3.  I'd love to apply to Georgetown, Univ. of MI, etc. but do not want to waste money. 
Thanks!
CC

lawsuperstar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2006, 05:33:09 PM »
My only advice for you is to do very well your first year at Cooley and then anything is possible.  If you're top 5% at any school a T-1 (excluding certain schools such as Harvard or Yale) will recognize that you're just as capable of performing well at their school.

Villus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2006, 05:19:01 PM »
All of this talk about you people with below average LSAT scores getting into T1 and T2 schools really pisses me off. I had a 160 with a 3.7 GPA from a good school. Then I went to work doing international tax law for a Big 5 accounting firm for 5 years. When I applied to schools I received a steady stream of rejections, waitlist to SMU and UT, and then a full ride to a T4. I guess it's not always a good thing being just another white guy in the South.

Or maybe your lameness came through in your personal statement, and nobody wanted to hear your whining for three years.