Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT scores in regard to transferring  (Read 10089 times)

ACapes0909

• View Profile
    • Email
LSAT scores in regard to transferring
« on: May 11, 2005, 05:02:46 PM »
How important are LSAT scores in regard to transferring? I didn't get in to my top choice school (probably because of my low LSAT..a 153), and am now considering how likely it is that I can transfer after my first year. I will be attending a T2(Cal Western), hoping to transfer to a T1 (University of San Diego). How much emphasis will they put on my score? Should I retake the LSAT even though it won't change where I'm going for now? Thanks!!!!

bacchus

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: LSAT scores in regard to transferring
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 06:19:51 PM »
You'll have to ask the school's admission office.  But generally the most important factor in transferring is your class rank.
A zen philosopher once said, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, a doughnut with no hole is a danish"

pbmizzou

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 06:32:17 PM »
I was in your position two years ago.  It was my experience that schools almost exclusively look to class rank when you transfer.  I didn't get into any of my top schools (grades were fair and LSAT was not that impressive), but got accepted to all of them as a transfer student based on my class rank. 

One top tier school (Washington University) said if you are in the top 1/3, they take you.  Other schools can't accept that many transfers, but again, they don't look much at LSAT or undergrad grades.

The only downside is that you usually aren't eligible for financial aid your first year as a transfer student.  If you do well, you may be eligible for your 3L year, but probably not for your 2L year.

If you want to transfer because you are sure it will get you a better job, then do.  If you want to transfer because you want a better experience--don't.  You suffer through hell together with your 1L friends and you become very close.  There will not be that closeness as a transfer student, because you did not go through that with them as a 1L.

I got a connection to get a better job because of the law school I transferred to, so it worked out well.  But, I must say the experience was not nearly as fun as my first year, just because I never got as close to the people here in two years as I did in 1 year as a 1L at my previous school.

Just something to think about! 

4L

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 01:08:38 AM »
I just have a few thoughts that are contradictory to pbmizzou and hope they help give another perspective.

when I transferred, my grades were not that great but my LSAT was top 97 percentile and I got into a top 20 law school. I received financial aid my 2L year and even got instate tuition because of my stats. I then got a scholarship for my 3L year and continued to get financial aid.

I transferred to get a better experience and I did. I got a much, much better education and thus, a better experience. I got a better job offers as a result of higher school rank (although, I have a huge rant on the job I landed and am not job-less because they were evil evil evil).

I do have to agree with pbmizzou that first year sections are very close. When I got to my new school, everyone was already in their cliques and not interested in expanding it. Although through law review and alcohol  ;) I ended up meeting just as many people as I would have had I gone there the first year, but the first few months did suck (and my birthday is early in the fall and I think I had a birthday party of like 10 people :( ).

so, based on pbmizzou's experience and mine, I think it is differend from school to school.

lwr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 04:44:19 PM »
How did you get accepted to a T2 with a 153? Very strange ..

nesty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 02:54:23 PM »
Here again, lwr!

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 05:36:10 PM »
I call bull-* & ^ % too Lwr.

153, maybe T3 with a very strong GPA.
I'd be suprised if most T2s dip below 160.
Air Force JAG Corps

sker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 09:56:31 PM »
I can not comment on your transfer question because I am a 1L, but I am also in a T2 school with a 152.

Bobo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 10:31:23 PM »
How important are LSAT scores in regard to transferring? I didn't get in to my top choice school (probably because of my low LSAT..a 153), and am now considering how likely it is that I can transfer after my first year. I will be attending a T2(Cal Western), hoping to transfer to a T1 (University of San Diego). How much emphasis will they put on my score? Should I retake the LSAT even though it won't change where I'm going for now? Thanks!!!!

The original poster is not going to a T2 with a 153.  Cal Western is not a T2 and USD is not a T1 school...

Mon Ami Gabi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 04:52:35 PM »
I'd be suprised if most T2s dip below 160.

Some of them do if you have a stellar undergrad GPA. Not to mention affirmative action admissions.
"Tear down that female dog of a bearing wall and put a window where it OUGHT to be!"