Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fall 2005  (Read 4695 times)

rugbylaw

• View Profile
Fall 2005
« on: May 10, 2005, 04:50:15 PM »
Is anyone who has decided on Wake Forest for Fall 2005 or at least strongly considering Wake interested in starting a thread to discuss the school?

I'm leaning toward Wake, while still considering a free ride from another school. I was interested in chatting with anyone who might be a future classmate.

rugbylaw

• View Profile
Re: Fall 2005
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 10:16:48 PM »
OK, so nobody finds my post interesting, or nobody is going to Wake in the fall.

Are there any current Wake students who wouldn't mind commenting on their experiences? What are your thoughts on the professors and the post-grad job opportunities? How does Wake place throughout N.C., particularly Charlotte? If you've been there for a while, do you think it's been money well spent? I'm trying to decide between going into debt or taking a free ride at another school.

Any response would be appreciated.

Thanks.

marco2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 10:23:22 AM »
I'm in a similar situation...well, i'd like to be.  I'm waitlisted at Wake (in at Baylor) and have a scholarship to Arkansas.  I don't know where i'd want to end up.  I do know that big city law is unappealing to me.  I'm weighing debt vs. reputation...changing my mind almost daily.
Virtually every practicing attorney has told me it won't matter in 5 years...
Younger folks tend to say not to worry about the money...i'm beginning to wonder if that isn't our mentality of borrowing for everything having a substantial weight...I don't mind investing if it will truly benefit me but spending it only for a name is a different consideration...well, today that is my thought...

petemWFUlaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 11:01:35 AM »
I will be going to Wake in the Fall.  I have talked with several students and professionals and as far as I can tell, Wake has great placement in the southeast, especially Charlotte.

I am really looking forward to getting back to school and meeting everyone.

Pete

3Ldude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005, 12:45:18 AM »
I'm a 3L at Wake.  what would you like to know... In response to the should I pay for a better school thing I think it depends.  I would say no if the other school was also a tier 1 (i didnt check the ranking on yours) but if not its probably worth it to spend the money because you will have amazing teachers and opportunities at a tier 1 school (yes even wake)   The profs rock and if you need help we (3l's) will always help out.  Only downside is winston salem is boring as *&^% but Greensboro is actually pretty fun.  reply if you want more info

Janna116

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2005, 02:10:06 AM »
Hey I'm a 2L at Wake, to answer your question from nearly 3 months ago, rugbylaw. (if you're still there...)  The profs are great at Wake or if they aren't they're usually funny and if they aren't I'm not going to slander the few that I didn't enjoy, no wait libel, no wait, what do they teach us at that school... Anyway, I went to a large undergrad so I have enjoyed small private Wake. The students, faculty and staff are very friendly and helpful.

Post grad I think a lot of people stay in NC, go to ATL, DC or VA.  I'm sure there are people who escape the region but for the most part Wake is a regional school. 

I don't know anything about Charlotte placement but I'm sure it's strong.  Might I recomend the free lawyer search site Martindale.com, you can search by city and then school and get an idea of placement and firm type. I got 374 of 3306 attys in Charlotte graduated from Wake (this isn't all the attys in Charlotte, just all the attys that are listed in the Martindale database, most in house and gov't don't get listed.)  So even though Wake is a small private school we corner around 10 percent of the Charlotte job market.  UNC had about twice that, around 700.  Duke only had around 160. I don't plan on staying in NC so I ignored all of the job postings for NC but they were the majority. 

I don't regret going to Wake, I have really enjoyed my experience so far and I could have been paying 4 grand in state by this point.  I agree with 3Ldude, if your free ride is a tier 1 particularly UNC (for Charlotte job prospects), or even tier 2 and in region, then go there.  If not, then come to Wake, you won't regret it. 
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - George Eliot