Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is it anal to prep for job search for 1L summer before starting law school?  (Read 1836 times)

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I disagree with just about everything that has been said thus far.  I think compiling data and names and researching firms before you even start law school is a waste of time.  I found that the reality is that your grades really determine what your focus should be.  Moreover, most places that have structured summer programs will not even look at you until after you get your grades.  I see it as a waste of money and time to blanket the country with resumes if your grades are such that you are probably applying to the wrong jobs.  In my opinion, your pre-1L time, if you are hell-bent on getting started on job search, is better spent developing your network.  Contact anyone you know in the profession and at least get your name in their head.  Try to get in touch with an alum from your school in your area and have lunch or drinks with that person.  These connections are what will get you a job if your grades aren't stellar, so develop the connections now while you have time.

kdeevers

• View Profile
I can understand where you are coming from, but eventually, the resume and cover letters will need to be sent out, regardless of when that may be.  How could it not be beneficial to get a list (that can always be added to and altered as interests become clearer), so that there is that much less that you have to do when the time comes to start the job search? It's something you can do at home while watching tv or at work when you're board, but will save you lots of time in the end.

In response to Bluff, I kinda started this already in an excel spreadsheet, and I also included a column for firms that have current Alumni from my schools (undergrad and law school) and the areas of practice.  This way when the time comes, I can have cover letters that can make a connection with a memeber of the firm, and if I decide after taking a certain class that the area that a firm specializes in is not for me, I can simply erase all firms that specialize in that area.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
So, do 1Ls get jobs with judges?

NoelleMyBelle

• View Profile
    • Email
Some do.

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
I can understand where you are coming from, but eventually, the resume and cover letters will need to be sent out, regardless of when that may be.  How could it not be beneficial to get a list (that can always be added to and altered as interests become clearer), so that there is that much less that you have to do when the time comes to start the job search? It's something you can do at home while watching tv or at work when you're board, but will save you lots of time in the end.

In response to Bluff, I kinda started this already in an excel spreadsheet, and I also included a column for firms that have current Alumni from my schools (undergrad and law school) and the areas of practice.  This way when the time comes, I can have cover letters that can make a connection with a memeber of the firm, and if I decide after taking a certain class that the area that a firm specializes in is not for me, I can simply erase all firms that specialize in that area.

Excellent points.  Lists can always be modified and modifications will certainly take less time than starting from zero two weeks before December 1. 

Grades do play a role, but not as much as people think. Obviously, firms are not willing to hire people who barely pass, but if your grades are reasonably good you are not out of the running.  For 1L positions, firms look for experience in other fields - perhaps technical fields that relate to their practice areas - because after the first year students simply don't have enough knowledge to be very valuable in terms of purely legal tasks.  I have seen a classmate of mine with a patent/biochem background get a 1L job at a top Bay Area firm having made all Passes during the first semester.  The quality of the school will also play a role.  All Passes from Yale may trump all B's from East Podunk School of Law.

dgatl

i wish i had started last summer.  it would have saved me some time in the fall.  anyway, i sent out about 300 resumes, which yielded me about 6 interviews (plus 6 OCI interviews).  i ended up with two summer biglaw offers, and took the one in my hometown (free rent + better salary). 

kdeevers

• View Profile
Thanks for the info.  Wow at the 300 resumes sent out.  That alone, without the getting names, resumes and cover letters in order must have been EXTREMELY time consuming.

Congrats on the offers!  May I ask, just out of curiosity, where you go to school and if your situation was typical of the other people in your class that you may have spoken to about their job search?