Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is it anal to prep for job search for 1L summer before starting law school?  (Read 1870 times)

kdeevers

• View Profile
I've read in quite a few places (including this board somewhere) that many law students felt that they didn't have as much time as they would have liked to research and prepare letters, resume, etc. for submission for summer work after 1L.  I have seen some suggestions of doing the leg work now, resume updated, researching firms, getting a database together and mail merge, and having this ready, so there is one less thing to do when the time comes.  It sounds like a good idea to me, just wanted some thoughts from people who have gone through it.  Would you suggest doing some prep work from the summer before starting school to secure a job for the summer after 1st year?  Do you really send out "hundreds" of resumes and letters to get a summer job? 

Sorry if this topic has been covered before, but it warrants revisiting.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Good topic. I've decided to get ready now by doing all the things you mentioned. Where, besides NALP and perhaps Martindale-Hubbell can one get info on prospective employers? Is there a directory of judges for most states? Do many 1Ls get jobs with judges?

GW2L

• View Profile
It's not anal.  It's smart.  Get your resume, etc., ready so that you can send everything out on December 1st.  It will give you a leg-up over your classmates who will be so busy studying for finals that they don't get their resumes out until January.

julaw

• View Profile
Is there a specific service which speacializes in legal resumes?

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
It's not anal.  It's smart.  Get your resume, etc., ready so that you can send everything out on December 1st.  It will give you a leg-up over your classmates who will be so busy studying for finals that they don't get their resumes out until January.

I noticed that Dec. 1 seems to be a magic date for 1L apps. Is that usually a school rule?

kdeevers

• View Profile
I've seen Dec 1st a lot too.  I know that is the date for my school, and I'm sure your school will let you know or you can ask your Career Services office.  I imagine it is so the 2Ls can get their letters out first as their summer employment is crucial for post grad employment.  I'm glad I'm not the only one whose thinking ahead, and that it seems to be well worth the time to prepare in advance.

NoelleMyBelle

• View Profile
    • Email
Definitely get your resume in shape, and update it as 1L progresses.  Actually, this is something all adults should do.  You should always have a current resume available.  Every time you change jobs/responsibilities or get an honor of some sort, add it.  You never know when someone will ask for a copy.

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
It is absolutely NOT anal -- it's smart.  You are right, as first year students, we have very little time to prepare our application materials during the semester, so it makes sense to get a head start.  At the very least, research some firms and/or organizations you are interested in and write individualized cover letters to the organizations that interest you most.  Then write a general (non-org specific) letter and save that so you can add mail merge info to it later in the semester.  Essentially, you will have about 15-20 letters that are individualized and then you will spam every other organization with the general letter in your mail merge.

Dec. 1 is not a school-specific date.  It comes from one of the regulatory bodies, but I am not sure which one.  (ABA, maybe?)  At most schools, applying before that date is an honor code violation, so don't take your chances.  The rationale for this date is to give the 2 and 3L's ultimate priority in the job application process. 

JW13

• View Profile
    • Email
December 1 is the "magic" day because the ABA mandates that you CANNOT apply for a job at a firm before that date as a 1L.  Some firms don't want you to apply that soon - check their dates on NALP.  Also, some want to wait until your grades come in (which can be a long long time at some schools).  Depending on what school you go to and your background you may or may not have a shot at a firm job.  You might back yourself up with an application to a school clinical or the like.  Don't make the mistake of assuming if you're in the top 10% or so of your class you will be able to find firm work.

BluffMountain

• View Profile
What information, exactly, should we compile for the job search? Firm name, address, hiring partner's name/HR person's name. Is that it?