Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any out-of-state people going to FSU?  (Read 10755 times)

vixierat

• View Profile
Re: Any out-of-state people going to FSU?
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005, 01:57:44 PM »
Have any of you gotten any insight regarding the impact of the proposed changes to florida in state residency requirements?  I'm having trouble getting a straight answer and FSU gets expensive very quickly without 2 years of in state tuition....

The bill is on Jeb Bush's desk. It hasn't been signed yet,but it's made it through Congress. You won't get any definate answers unless it's signed. I think if it is signed before the session is out,it could into effect this summer.

Shardik

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ignorance, the root and the stem of every evil.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2005, 02:45:22 PM »
What does the bill want to do?

vixierat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2005, 03:10:45 PM »

gerheimj

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2005, 03:24:30 PM »
Have any of you gotten any insight regarding the impact of the proposed changes to florida in state residency requirements?  I'm having trouble getting a straight answer and FSU gets expensive very quickly without 2 years of in state tuition....

So have they acknowledged a possible change, playing dumb, or denying it?

Shardik

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2005, 03:55:40 PM »
Assuming that the document is currently "the law" and that the Underlined and Striken portions are changes in the law, i don't see that wording in there. (i just skimmed it)

It appears to mean illegal imigration and other non US citicens

I also called FSU and they told me that they knew of no such changes in the law

Shardik

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email

vixierat

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2005, 04:49:19 PM »
Assuming that the document is currently "the law" and that the Underlined and Striken portions are changes in the law, i don't see that wording in there. (i just skimmed it)

I pulled the link from the pre-law board posted by "blapper." It's supposed to effect FL residency. I think he might have just gotten the link wrong though. I work in an another Florida college and we've heard rumors of a bill as well.

Shardik

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2005, 08:17:29 PM »
hummm, this could be very important to me...if you find the real bill pls let us know.
thanks

southbound

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2005, 11:30:47 AM »

I pulled the link from the pre-law board posted by "blapper." It's supposed to effect FL residency. I think he might have just gotten the link wrong though. I work in an another Florida college and we've heard rumors of a bill as well.

I read the bill and I think it said that in order to be considered a Florida resident for tuition purposes you must be a dependent of a resident of Florida, or have lived and worked full time in the state for the past 12 months.  This seems to be a change from the current law that allows residency after 12 months while attending school (not necessarily working).

This would absolutely suck.  It passed through both the house and the senate, and I can't find any info on whether or not Gov. Bush will veto or approve it.