Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ABA work rule  (Read 1493 times)

joshdriskell

• View Profile
    • Email
ABA work rule
« on: May 07, 2005, 12:43:40 PM »
I am right now trying to decide whether to go to school full time and try to work as much as I can during my 1L year, or going to school part time, and working full time. My question is how strict are the schools and ABA on only working 20 hours your first year. Are their systems in place to check up on thsi information, or is it just an unspoken process. THANKS everyone!

JOSH

JD_MSA

• View Profile
Re: ABA work rule
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 01:17:43 PM »
I think it depends on the school.  At my school, each student has to sign something at the beginning of each semester indicating whether or not they are entitled to be a full-time student and agree to update the registrar if anything changes.  I don't know of any external systems here that "enforce" the policy.

That being said, if you are thinking of going to school full-time and working more than 20 hours in your first year, you might want to reconsider.  I think most people here will tell you that getting used to the workload in law school is a job in and of itself. 

Highway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 12:51:02 PM »
One other thing to consider is that the Character and Fitness section of the Bar generally asks you to list all jobs held in the past 10 years, or since age 18. I don't know if they also want to know about those jobs being FT/PT or whatever. If they find out you worked more than 20 hours a week and did not inform your school, you may have a problem that you will need to explain your way out of. Hardly worth it in my opinion.

othius

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 08:53:17 PM »
Not to hijack or anything but I'm curious if anyone out there worked during their 1L. Any advice, horror stories, etc?

I'm planning on working at least 10 hours or so... unless I can figure out how to make money doing nothing.

cheers

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 11:20:45 PM »
i had a lot of friends have bartended on the friday/sat night. This didn't interfere with class prep during the week, and they were free to get work done during the day on the weekends.
check the footnotes ya'll

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 12:51:51 PM »
I've said this on other threads, and I'll say it again.  Campus jobs are the way to go.  I'm working right now--my finals are over, but if they weren't, I'd be getting paid to sit here and study. 

othius

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 07:51:06 PM »
JD-MSA,

Do you work specifically in the Law school or in another portion of the university? And are you on a work/study or do you have a part-time job?  Thanks for the advice.

Right now I'm searching in the area and have found a call center for Bank of America that is open 24 hrs/day. It seems they've got great flexibility and 15% higher wages for 2nd and 3rd shifts. Despite this higher wage, I'd need to drive 20 minutes each way or there abouts, as opposed to an on campus job that is a short walk after classes... Having to have a second vehicle to travel to work/gas, etc.. is making me think something on campus as a lower wage is still a better deal... we'll see.

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 08:19:38 PM »
I work at the law school.  My school has separate law and undergrad campuses, but I bet there would be a lot more part-time campus jobs on a combined campus.  A lot of my friends work around the school--library, admissions office, financial aid office, etc.

I get paid directly by the university, so I'm not considered "work-study."  I don't really know what the difference is besides where the money comes from.  :)

julaw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 05:19:10 PM »
The Bank of America call center may not be as flexible as you might think.  I worked there a long time ago and quit primarily because they were wo INFLEXIBLE.  But, things may have changed a lot!

othius

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 03:08:20 AM »
TAS21-

Thanks for the info! Glad to hear your thoughts. Especially the bit about getting permission, I'll be sure to check with my future school on that note.  I think what you've said about self assessment makes a lot of sense. My only problem: I really don't know where I'll end up. I think that I can make it to the top 5 or 10% but the way I see it, that depends upon a lot more than just me. In your opinion or that of anyone else, what do you think are the most important factors to placing in the top 5-10%?
I did quite well in my undergrad studies, and breezed through a lot that most of my class had a difficult time with. That being said, my LSAT isn't the hottest but that's mostly based on not having enough time.... for some reason my brain just doesn't compute fast enough. :) So yeah, curious what you or anyone thinks about that.

Thanks