Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Who here thinks Ivy-Bound is full of it?

Ivy is full of it
 19 (79.2%)
Cut the guy some slack
 4 (16.7%)
Oh no way, he is TOTALLY telliing the truth
 0 (0%)
Even if he is going Ivy he is going to be way over his head and probably drop out
 1 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: May 10, 2004, 10:53:35 PM

Author Topic: For 1Ls: Open Book v. Closed Book  (Read 3606 times)

Unlearnedhand

• AOL Instant Messenger - bigjizznay
    • View Profile
    • Unlearned Hand Blawg
    • Email
For 1Ls: Open Book v. Closed Book
« on: May 06, 2005, 07:36:47 PM »
I'm interested in how many of us have closed or open book exams.
~Unlearned Hand
[http://unlearnedhand.blogs.com/my_weblog/]
[http://www.princetonreview.com/law/research/rankings/rankingDetails.asp?topicID=6]

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: For 1Ls: Open Book v. Closed Book
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 02:39:07 AM »
i prefer closed. if its open, that means ur answer has to be on point with every little detail. closed book, so what if u miss an issue here or there.
check the footnotes ya'll

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 05:39:08 PM »
The proper approach for developing superior exam-taking skills differs depending on the substantive area of law in question and whether your exam is open-book or closed-book.

On most of your exams, we are given complex, hypothetical fact patterns. From the facts given, one identifies the particular legal issues that need to be addressed. This is a difficult skill to perfect and can only be developed through practice. It is helpful to practice any legal problems given during the semester. Issue-spotting is an important skill to develop.

The ability to recall the law with speed is also very important and frequently tested. On all of exams, one is given a series of legal problems, and for each problem you provide the relevant substantive law and apply it to the facts of the problem. Ability to recall the law with speed is critical, because in most classes, you are under time constraints to answer all of the problems -- the faster you recall the law, the more problems you will complete and the more time you will have to spend on demonstrating your analytical skills. For courses with closed-book exams, this means straight MEMORIZATION or the use of mnemonics (flash cards?). When you become exceedingly familiar with the flash cards, e.g., you rewrite them so as to test your memory in different words (particularly critical for courses such as Torts and Criminal Law where you must learn a series of definitions with multiple elements)

For courses with open-book exams, this means developing an index for the outline that enables you to locate the relevant law quickly.

One also needs to develop the ability to apply the law to the facts efficiently and skillfully. Once you have correctly identified the relevant issue and stated the relevant law, you engage in a discussion of how the law applies to the facts that have been given. You try to focus on the essential facts, and not engage in irrelevant discussions that will waste your energy.

shambala

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 10:09:39 PM »
Even if it may be a "closed book" exam, if they allow you to go to the bathroom, it becomes "open book", in case they give you all the questions to answer to from the very beginning of the exam.

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 02:27:11 PM »
Even if it may be a "closed book" exam, if they allow you to go to the bathroom, it becomes "open book", in case they give you all the questions to answer to from the very beginning of the exam.

You know, I've often wondered about that at my school.  There are more than a few classmates of mine whose bladders seem to mysteriously shrink come exam day.   :-\

Jude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 03:41:43 AM »

You know, I've often wondered about that at my school.  There are more than a few classmates of mine whose bladders seem to mysteriously shrink come exam day.   :-\

I've heard many students actually go to the bathroom to do drugs. Here it is a story,

http://www.abanet.org/lsd/stulawyer/dec03/alcohol.html

danlauer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 03:13:46 AM »
I've heard many students actually go to the bathroom to do drugs. Here it is a story,

http://www.abanet.org/lsd/stulawyer/dec03/alcohol.html

Well, I guess you'll have to wait a little while until you can do drugs in your office ... for now, you really need to go to your school bathroom to do 'em ... Hard luck!
To what extent can truth endure incorporation? That is the question; that is the experiment.

yomugonamug

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 05:21:34 AM »
Well, I guess you'll have to wait a little while until you can do drugs in your office ... for now, you really need to go to your school bathroom to do 'em ... Hard luck!

hahaha

frame of mind

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 10:16:05 PM »

What kind of a s s h o l e s they have to be to give you all of the questions from the very beginning AND allowing you to go to the bathroom???

Noelle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 03:47:31 PM »
What kind of a s s h o l e s they have to be to give you all of the questions from the very beginning AND allowing you to go to the bathroom???

The garden variety type ..