Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Syracuse - Opinions Please.  (Read 1484 times)

sunyeo78

• View Profile
    • Email
Syracuse - Opinions Please.
« on: May 05, 2005, 01:15:09 PM »
When you hear or think of Syracuse law school - for those who are already in law school - what do you think?  Good law school? Eh? Potential to be better? Or whatever.  Free Association is certainly welcomed!

I feel that many people who are not yet in law school have a tendency to live by the US News rankings only.

I am hoping to get a different perspective from people already in school, etc?

wuo

• View Profile
Re: Syracuse - Opinions Please.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 02:20:42 PM »
great post! someone plz reply!

bdc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 02:32:36 PM »
I'm attending in the fall and would also like to hear responses to this.

sunyeo78

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 02:43:44 PM »
wuo -

hehe..i am hoping that wasn't a sarcastic response?!?!

:o

wuo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 03:01:07 PM »
no im serious! i am contemplating between attending indiana u-indy and syracuse right now. although i am still on hold at case (which i will take over both) and wait listed at notre dame and u of wisconsin

BCAP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 03:06:17 PM »
I'm starting at 'Cuse in the fall as well.  So, I'm a little biased, but I think it presents a great opportunity to get a solid education at a school with a national name.

You may also be interested in checking out the link off of this website.  For what it's worth, it's a study of where different schools graduates place at a certain catergory of firms around the country.  'Cuse comes out looking like a peach according to this.

http://www.autoadmit.com/studies/ciolli/

sunyeo78

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 03:25:20 PM »
I have read about Syracuse on this board, spoke to a few student and from what I have gathered it is not necessarily considered a nationally recognized school.

What do you think?  I am seriously considering Syracuse.  I am just trying to see, if I do attend Syracuse and do not graduate in the top 10% of the class, what does that mean regarding job opportunites, summer internships, etc. 

I have also spoken to a few students at Syracuse...and so far the general consensus regarding alumni support is not positive.  Supposedly, this aspect of the school can definitely use some work.

Thoughts? :-\

bdc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005, 03:35:47 PM »
At visitors day I spoke with a few students and they claim that the Syracuse name is recognized nationally.  Even if it is because of their bball team.  Most would day no school is nationally recognized outside of the top 15-25 schools.  Im for cali and will be attending in fall.  I chose to attend in part based on the name compared to other schools within my range. I do not want to work in upstate ny after grad and this was one of my concerns.  but after researching and discussing pros and cons I feel Syracuse gives you a solid chance outside the region.  of course the better the grades the better the chance.

Grubesac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 03:50:12 PM »
Not that it matters, but I'm sort of a political junky and Sen. Joseph Biden, Jr who is a f-ing rhetorical rock star went to Syracuse and received his JD. He worked in private practice and ran for local government, within four years of graduating he became a US senator and has been there ever since '72. He's a rock star. Point being, the first couple years out of school the name helps, but after that its about personal drive and ambition. Are you a rock star or a dud? If you are a rock star, you'll be one no matter where you go to school.

Also, some schools in the top 20 are regional. There are plenty of postings on regionality, so I won't go into it, but I wouldn't count on a syracuse JD going well beyond NY. Its possible I suppose, but it will be much much harder than if you just go to a school in the state you want to live in.

sunyeo78

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 03:56:13 PM »
Thanks for your responses.

Someone had told me that the name of the school carries a lot of weight.  Regarding working hard etc.  I completely agree with everyone.  I was only wondering if there would be some kind of glass ceiling just because of the school you attended.

I would be proud to go to Syracuse.  I just want to get all my facts straight.

BDC - what is your aim?  Mine is sunyeo210 . If you would like to im me, I woulnd't mind it.  I can share with you what feedback I have received.

:)