Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help in deciding summer employment!  (Read 371 times)

sexonthebeach

• View Profile
Help in deciding summer employment!
« on: May 04, 2005, 08:38:11 PM »
I'm entering law school this fall, and I recently had two opportunities present themselves as for summer employment, and I was just wondering if people could offer advice.

Option #1 - Legal Assistant in law firm (large firm, good pay for summer associates), in business transactions.  The pay is very respectable.

Option #2 - Intern for my state's Attorney General (primarily corporate dealings, as the state I live in does a lot of business with various corporations).  Unpaid. 

Money is not a HUGE factor, but I will need to make something over the summer.  If I do option #2, I would have to work retail over the weekends/nights. 

What should I do? 

kdeevers

• View Profile
Re: Help in deciding summer employment!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 08:47:36 PM »
I'm not a law student yet, and I have no basis to say this other than my own experience, but I'd take the paying job at the firm.  There you will get experience and get paid without having to get an extra job.  With the other job, although it would be a great experience as well, you would still need to get another job.  This will probably be the last summer for awhile when you can just have fun, why work two jobs when you can work one and have the off time to relax?

(Woohoo Hofstra!)

NoelleMyBelle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 12:23:02 AM »
I am a law student and I would say take the paying job.  What you do this summer matters far less in finding employment in or after law school than you think it does.  Make some money and relax.  :)  Keep the AG in mind for after 1L year or during the winter break, though. 

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 01:06:37 AM »
I would take #2.