Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Are most exams open book?  (Read 1289 times)

kdeevers

• View Profile
Are most exams open book?
« on: May 04, 2005, 07:31:29 AM »
I have a friend in law school and he said that all exams are either open book or take home (no closed book exams).  Is that the general consensus from current students?  He also said that if you don't know the material, you could have every book every written on the subject and you still wouldn't pass.

Thoughts?

JD_MSA

• View Profile
Re: Are most exams open book?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 09:16:55 AM »
I've only had two exams (in two years) that were open book or take home.  I just had an open book exam yesterday--typically, those exams are written so that you don't have much time to consult the materials anyway. 

Coregram

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 10:04:32 AM »
Civ Pro and Property last semester were both closed book in class.

Contracts this semester is closed book in class; torts is open book but in class.

I haven't taken the Torts final yet, but the mid-term was open book in class as well.  I agree that you won't have much time to consult with the materials during the exam and fully address the issues.  For the midterm, I created a summary outline which I was able to refer to quickly and use as a checklist to make sure I covered all the points.  Once or twice I went back to the detail outline or the case-book, but not often.  There just isn't enough time, so you better know the material pretty well coming into an open book exam.

Also, our torts professor basically said he gives no credit for listing elements, etc. that can be copied from the book or your outline.  His emphasis is on the analysis you do using the rules, not knowing the rules.  So you won't get much credit for anything you take out of the materials you use anyway.

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 10:55:04 AM »
Two were closed book, and one was open book, but like mentioned above, you really don't have time to go through the 'open book.' You still should pretty much memorize everything as if it was closed.  It really just depends on your professor's style. 

rezipsa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 12:48:34 PM »
All of our exams are closed book.  We usually have exam days where we are given three questions (one hour each).  Each question is usually from different subjects - torts, contracts, crim.  They are trying to simulate the "bar."

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 03:08:17 PM »
All of my in-class and take homes so far have been open book.  My professors are basically of the opinion that in real life, you always have access to resources to help you solve a problem and you should learn how to use them.  My only closed-book exam is this semester's Property exam, which is only partially closed-book.  There's basically a multiple choice and short answer section that's closed book and the essay portion of the exam is open book.

birddog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 08:21:33 PM »
In three years I've only had one totally closed book exam (torts first semester).  Since then I've had two partially closed book (closed for black letter law multiple choice, open for essay/application).  I've usually always had time to look in my notes during open book exams, but that all depends on you.  For example, I have an exam tomorrow that is open book open notes, open everything.  it's an 8 hour take home and, according to the prof, should only take 4 hours to write.  He just wants us to spend time thinking through the issues.

So it all depends on your school and profs as to whether you'll have open or closed exams, in class or take home.

NoelleMyBelle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005, 12:23:51 AM »
Most exams at my school are closed book. 

StrictlyLiable

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 10:12:17 AM »
All our exams are closed book. However, the prof usually provides pertinent sections of the Restatement or UCC for reference.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 12:05:14 PM »
So, to clarify, a "closed book" exam means you can't even bring in an outline, right?