Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Advise: What to do before  (Read 1195 times)

xtac

• View Profile
Advise: What to do before
« on: May 03, 2005, 07:41:53 PM »
Hello Forum,

I am in my sophmore year of undergrad at stony brook university studying political science. Besides the good grades,taking diverse classes, what else should I do. Volunteer works seems to be an obvious, but from people who are already in law school what do you suggest? I am really aiming for a great school Harvard,Columbia, etc.. I know it is going to be a lot of work, but if I fail, it wouldn't be too bad to goto NYU.  I am not the smartest kid, but I will work hard, and aim for perfection. I don't know what type of lawyer I want to be yet, but as long as the money is right I want to do it, yes the money is the reason, but also the I am looking for the experience of interacting with intelligent people while at the same time increasing my knowledge of so many things.

So, I ask the forum, what should I do?

GW2L

• View Profile
Re: Advise: What to do before
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 08:41:33 PM »
Relax.
Just go talk to your prelaw advisor.

birddog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 12:09:40 AM »
there used to be a page on the princeton review site that talked about how to time admissions into law school (when to start studying for the LSAT, when to apply, etc).  Basically to get into the top schools you have to get a kick ass LSAT so make sure you know when that is, etc.  I know that even when I was a senior I'd have had no idea how to apply to law school - I still can't believe I had friends who got their act together enough during their Junior year to start on this stuff!

oh, and I echo the above post - relax.  Enjoy college.  It isn't a race!

finko

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 03:23:11 PM »
 " but also the I am looking for the experience of interacting with intelligent people while at the same time increasing my knowledge of so many things."

Ha! don't go to law school then!

Oh my god,this has to be one of the funniest things I have seen on this board. Dude, hats off to you.

finko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 03:29:37 PM »
and if you did not write that as a joke...

what kind of disease do you have that would makes you think that any law student would do so much as press a frigg'n key to help you get into a better law school? Out of kindness? There should be only two respones that anyone replys
1) Ridicule, which I obviously prefer
2) and people spouting out mindless crap to impress other people.

No One, let me repeat, No One, cares about you. If they do they need friends or a significant other to share their goodness with, because they are obviously deficant of that if they are giving it to you.

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 07:00:16 PM »
Or maybe double major.  Poli Sci is boring to those admissions counselors.

Grubesac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 12:21:35 PM »
Ok dude, seriously if you are going into law for the money, you are making the WRONG choice. Do you know what it means to practice law? Lawyers who make 125k starting or even 70 80 or 90k are all working 70 hr weeks. Interacting with other smart people? Well, doing transactional work you are sitting at a desk pouring over paper work and drafting legal documents for business clients. When questioned, 50% of lawyers would not recommend their children pursue law. Career dissatisfaction and depression is higher among lawyers than almost all other professions. MBA make a lot of money too. Do you actually like law? I mean, I wouldn't mind pulling in 125k either, but I know what costs are associated with it, do you? Plus to get one of those jobs is entirely dependent on first year and to a lesser degree 2nd year grades. As a general barometer most 1st tier schools you'll need to be in the top 25% of your class to even land an interview at firms that dole out the serious cash. The top 14 schools you basically only have to graduate to get a biglaw job, but I wouldn't bank on getting into one of those unless you are sure you can easily break a 165 on the LSAT. You were looking at top five and were like, oh I guess NYU would be ok. Well, top five I hope you've done some really really extraordinary things. Perhaps you've started a non-profit, a business, or been very involved in implementing a well know community project. My best friend has tons of school activities, including class vice president, a 3.7, a 169 and didn't get into pen, harvard, chicago or Georgetown, although he did make it into cornell. What I'm saying is that yes you can get into these schools without the numbers, but you better have done something extraordinary (or at least extremely unique) and have a much more convincing argument in your personal statement than, gee gosh lawyers make some dough.

I would suggest setting up informational interviews with lawyers at firms in your area. Its not that hard and I've never been declined for any informational I've ever requested. Make sure you want to be a lawyer, and not just what you think it means to be a lawyer. Be sure you actaully know the work, because I can assure you, unless you've been exposed to the practice, its not what you think. Its like any office job, but longer hours, and more complex. It can also be very different than that, but not if you plan on taking down 125k your first year (or even after 10 years for that matter). Then get into the best school you can. Most importantly, if you end up applying to schools outside of the illustrious top 14, be aware these schools are regional and your job prospects will not carry far, if at all, outside the region. The lower ranked the school, the more regional it becomes, for the most part. Know where you want to live.

Also what should you do. Find out where you sit on the LSAT now. I waited until two months before taking the test, while working a full time job, studying in the evenings, every evening. My best was 164. Believe me, once you find out where you lack on the test, you are going to hit a plateau and that'll be your score. You aren't going to be able to break it without some intensive focused coaching, and this will take time and strategy. I would suggest getting started on the LSAT to know where you stand and what kind of improvements you need to get at LEAST a 165.  You really should be shooting for 170 though. Princeton Review cracking the LSAT is a good place to start, but donít count on it if you are not ďthat smartĒ to help you very far. If improved my score, but I could have done more work thatís for sure. Its going to take more than a book (although start there) and practice tests (i took 13 full practice tests). No matter how hard I tried, logic games always stuck me at about 15 and in order to get a 165+ that was unacceptable, but I couldn't break it, and I no longer had the time. I would suggest buying that book and working through it along with your other course work next semester. Then use the next semester to fine tune the trouble spots by purchasing additional materials for the section(s) that are f-ing you. (most likely logic games). Or do both of these in the same semester, whatever you can handle.  Then take the LSAT.

If you don't have the GPA 3.7+ and the LSAT, you need to be extraordinary in your personal life, which most of us aren't. You almost need to do both, but if you have the high numbers, schools want to see leadership. Get involved on your campus, and get in a position where you are a leader and a decision maker. If nothing else, it should give you something to write about on your personal statement. And for the sake of Christ figure out what you want from a law degree. If you don't know what you want, all you'll have is a paycheck and no time to spend it. That'll get you one place fast. It'll put you right up there with all the lawyers who warn their kids at all costs about becomming a lawyer.

MBAs make huge salaries too you know. So do a lot of other careers that you donít go to law school for.