Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ROOMATES OR NOT?  (Read 480 times)

UMD2008

• View Profile
    • Email
ROOMATES OR NOT?
« on: May 03, 2005, 12:35:24 PM »
Hello all,
I am debating whether to get a studio or room with someone when I room to Baltimore in the fall to attend UMD.
PROS- save about $2-300 a mo., safer although apartment buildings typically have security
CONS- don't know anyone who needs a roomate so I would have to live with a stranger, have a serious boyfriend who will be visiting at 1-2 times a week
I would really appreciate some input from ppl who have had good or bad experiences either way. 
Thanx

kdeevers

• View Profile
Re: ROOMATES OR NOT?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 12:50:54 PM »
I am in the EXACT position you are in, only in NY instead of MD.  I have considered having a room mate for the same reason you have, that it would be a lot cheaper, but for me, the other factors seem to outweigh the cost benefit for me.

I know myself, and having not lived with a room mate for awhile, I think it would be hard to go back to that, especially someone I don't know.  I will have enough stress with starting law school, trying to get good grades to keep my scholarship and trying to maintain my relationship with my boyfriend, adding another wildcard into the equation may be more of a stress in the long run than I may want or need, depending on the room mate of course, and considering we are 4 months from starting school, I'm not sure how well you would get to know anyone you would find to live with at this point.  And they might be OK with your boyfriend coming over a lot at first, but come finals time things may change (that is from first hand experience).

On the other side though, there are TONS of people who find roommates and are able to make it work, just depends on the type of person you are.

Hope that helped...

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: ROOMATES OR NOT?
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 12:52:56 PM »
I agree. I think it really depends on your needs. I have a house to myself and I love it. I do better alone and I think getting things done in law school is much easier for me that way. However, there are people who like it better if they live with others.