Law School Discussion

working part-time, school full-time?

working part-time, school full-time?
« on: May 02, 2005, 10:22:28 PM »
Is it realistic to think I'll be able to work part-time, say 15 hours a week, during my second and third years of law school?  An admissions person at one school said it was very doable.  I'm interested in working part-time to cut down on the amount I'll have to take out in loans.

I have another question which might be kind of hard to answer.  How much is the average salary for a 2L summer associate?

I'll be going to a good school, but I want to try to reduce by debt load since I don't have a scholarship.  I sometimes feel pretty frazzled thinking about financing school.  The debt will be a huge responsibility, but it will also be a wise investment in my future.

Re: working part-time, school full-time?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 05:57:22 AM »
Is it realistic to think I'll be able to work part-time, say 15 hours a week, during my second and third years of law school?

Absolutely.  I work 20 hours a week (I'm a 2L) and it's no problem. 

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 06:13:18 AM »
I have another question which might be kind of hard to answer.  How much is the average salary for a 2L summer associate?

Here is a link to the NALP directory.  It should be able to give you some ballpark figures for wherever you are looking.

http://www.nalp.org/nalpresearch/salindex.htm

GW2L

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 07:21:23 AM »
It shouldn't be much of a problem.  I go to class from 8:30-11 four days a week and work from 12-5 everyday.  It's not that bad.