Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: IU - INDY  (Read 11167 times)

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
Re: IU - INDY
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 11:42:35 AM »
I was just admitted into the school last night. I am totally stunned and am loving everyminute of it. I just got the phone call last night from the dean of admittions Angela Espada. As of right now i'll be attending there in the fall and can't wait. I keep hearing more and more great things about the school and city. I live like 10hrs away in PA. But at least i won't be in a different time zone (at least I think)!! Any more info  you can give on apts would be great gracias!!!
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 07:27:35 PM »
remember, Indiana is all screwed up for time zones.  we still do not change so for half the year you are on Eastern, the other half Central

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2006, 12:01:24 AM »
remember, Indiana is all f**cked up for time zones.  we still do not change so for half the year you are on Eastern, the other half Central

Really?! wow I never knew that. When does that start. Also I visited this weekend for the open house and loved it. The city has tons of things todo and is a 10min walk from many apts. So far a lot of great places to live too. I am going to live at the Continental Towers on Meridian St. about 3blocks a 10min walk from the school and from the down town area (best of both worlds!).  Also Canal square is the closest but also the most expensive, others are Riley towers (a bit furthur down and blanchare - which is right next to the continental towers on Meridian. Also of alot of students live down campus at some off campus place - i forget the name, but will try and find out. Also there is Canal court (i'm not sure where that is) if you haven't visited you should the school will give you a list of places with a map, but the best thing is to just walk around town. There are places all over!!
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 01:01:01 PM »
sorry, this weekend - April 2nd - will be the first weekend Indiana will observer daylight savings time and change their clocks.  I expect a whole bunch of articles in the Indy Star about how hard this time change is, how it messes everything up, how all these people have to reprogram their VCR's, yada, yada, yada.

Downtown and the school area has really improved in the last ten years (used to be a dump).  Bear in mind, that 10 min walk next January will really suck.  You could also live out in the burbs - even from 30 miles out it won't take you that long to get to school.  The North side has a lot of traffic, West side is increasing but not bad from like Plainfield, but if you have to go Rockville Road, it will be very crowded.  Southside traffic is picking up but still not too bad.  Eastside is dead for the most part, nothing too much out that way.

West of the river isn't quite as nice, nor is south inside the loop.  Northside is the trendy place, around the Broadripple area.

Snag a locker as early as you can so you don't have to lug that 6+ pound Con Law book everywhere.  Load up money on your Jag card, it's a lot easier than carrying cash.

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 01:18:03 PM »
sorry, this weekend - April 2nd - will be the first weekend Indiana will observer daylight savings time and change their clocks.  I expect a whole bunch of articles in the Indy Star about how hard this time change is, how it messes everything up, how all these people have to reprogram their VCR's, yada, yada, yada.

Downtown and the school area has really improved in the last ten years (used to be a dump).  Bear in mind, that 10 min walk next January will really suck.  You could also live out in the burbs - even from 30 miles out it won't take you that long to get to school.  The North side has a lot of traffic, West side is increasing but not bad from like Plainfield, but if you have to go Rockville Road, it will be very crowded.  Southside traffic is picking up but still not too bad.  Eastside is dead for the most part, nothing too much out that way.

West of the river isn't quite as nice, nor is south inside the loop.  Northside is the trendy place, around the Broadripple area.

Snag a locker as early as you can so you don't have to lug that 6+ pound Con Law book everywhere.  Load up money on your Jag card, it's a lot easier than carrying cash.

wow thanks for the info. Yea i'll still bring my car, so when it is really cold and snowy i'll definitely drive there. Even though as of right now, i don't really know what places you are talkign about, i'll check a map later on and see. Also i didn't know the law school had lockers for their students. I might take advantage of that, but still i'll probibly need my book basically everynight so i'm not sure.  Thanks again for the info

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2006, 01:38:55 PM »
Go to IU-I's website and look at the schedules for the fall - you won't have every class every day and you'll have time during the day to get the reading done.  If you keep up with the reading you should be able to avoid dragging a ton of books back and forth.  Don't forget to get a parking pass, you can get it online from IUPUI's website.  IU-Indy is on the campus of IU-Purdue - Indianapolis (IUPUI) so a lot of the admin stuff is through IUPUI and not IUI (hope that makes sense).  If you're set on an apartment, all you have to learn is the locations of nearby bars (The Distillery or the Rathskeller come to mind...) most of the other places probably won't matter to you.

You'll need a OneStart account and an Oncourse account, but the school should send you info on setting all these up.  You'll also need to register your laptop so you can get online through the wireless network.  Get a couple cheap USB keys for exams if you plan to type, the online submission isn't debugged yet.

Lockers are limited, first come, first serve.  If you can find an empty one throw a lock on it and tell Therese at the front desk and it's yours for the life of school. 

More random items:

http://iuilaw.blogspot.com/

is the school blog which will give you a limited flavor of the gossip - mainly it's the same people posting, but you'll learn things about the school, profs, etc.

The school just started charging for pringing this year - $.01 / page because the med school students were printing for free on the law school printers and sucking down all the supplies.  This means you will need money on your Jag card (that's your ID) to be able to get any of your papers. 

Here's the class schedules:

http://www.indylaw.indiana.edu/students/

and all sorts of other good info, student handbook, computers, etc.

The school offers almost ALL software you'll need FREE so if you are buying a laptop go cheap on the OS and any of the applications.  You'll be able to download (or buy from the bookstore for low low $$$) WinXP Pro, Office Pro, etc.  See here:

http://iuware.indiana.edu/

Financial aid info:

http://www.iupui.edu/~finaid/

more indy info:

http://www.indy.org/

gotta go back to reading Con Law...

BK84

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2006, 05:43:44 PM »
Hey, does the school provide on campus housing for grad student?

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2006, 05:36:58 PM »
Hey, does the school provide on campus housing for grad student?

I was wondering the same thing, but I they said no. The college is mainly a commuter campus, but there are tons I mean tons of apts near by. All you have to do is walk around too see them all. Also you could get a map at the school of a list of apts. I am currently living at the Continental apartments on Meridian ST. IT is really nice and not that expensive either. It is a lot cheaper if  you can find a roomate, the school has a program where you fill out a roomate form to help you find a roomate. That is how I found mine. Anyway good luck, hit me up sometime. Hopefully i'll see you around campus.