Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: For all you 1L- What do you think was a waste of $$$$$$?  (Read 2666 times)

Kelly

• I love the LSAT!!!
    • View Profile
For all you 1L- What do you think was a waste of $$$$$$?
« on: April 30, 2005, 09:16:07 PM »
For all you people currently in law school, looking back what would you say was a waste of you money on?

Was there something (law preview, leews or anything) that you thought particularly didn't help?

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: For all you 1L- What do you think was a waste of $$$$$$?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 10:38:21 PM »
I'm a 2l, but I'm answering anyway. :-*

Whatever tuition was allocated towards paying the salary of my property prof could have been flushed down the toilet.  (Then I was assigned her again this year for tax).  I probably could have survived without ever buying my torts books.  Evidence flashcards are still in plastic.  Estates and Trust textbook- didn't even read all the way through a chapter.  I don't reccomend that by the way.  It is just that the prof was criminally boring.

I don't buy too many commercial outlines.  The nutshells are on the reserve shelf and I pool resources with my friends.  One set of flashcards per study group is just fine.

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 12:19:10 AM »
good question

Kelly

• I love the LSAT!!!
    • View Profile

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 03:33:52 AM »
The biggest waste of money for most 1Ls is a student meal plan. Next to that would be hornbooks.

I say buy the E&E books, or look at them on reserve.Flash cards for Torts was helpful but not so much for K.

IHEARTLS

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 05:07:26 AM »
* Con Law professor

* Apt (I'm never here!  It's just a place to store my clothes!)

UMHBmom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 09:32:52 AM »
I probably wouldn't do LEEWS again. It's great for some people... it's great for some classes.... just didn't work for ME or my classes! At my school, they will literally crucify you for not using IRAC, so the many books that I got on how to take law school exams were a total waste of money, since they all claim to be revolutionary by turning IRAC on it's head. Law-in-a-Flash for Future Interests is an absolute MUST, no point in the set for Contracts. I really like Examples and Explanations, snd will probably always use them when they are available. I like to use them right before I start a new section, just to get the "big picture", and then again when I'm done with a section and outlining, just to make sure I'm clear. I also really like Crunchtime. I'll go to the coffee shop the day before the exam, go over the "Exam tips" section (all the tricks and pitfalls to look out for... saved my butt a few times!) and do all the exercises. Oh, and if your legal writing prof is utterly worthless (like mine), get "Legal Writing in Plain English" by Bryan A. Garner.

GW2L

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2005, 01:52:35 PM »
Don't get sucked in to the study aid/hornbook trap.  Buy your text books, do the reading, and if you feel like you need help, borrow a hornbook/study aid from the library. 

onehandedreader

• Sr. Citizen
  • Balzac, Jaws of Death
    • View Profile
    • how real can one keep it?
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2005, 04:39:18 PM »
Biggest waste of money?  I'd have to go with online poker.
www.antihumanity.com
how real can one keep it?

Kelly

• I love the LSAT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2005, 05:17:47 PM »
I appreciate your insights into this. ;)