Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Incoming 1Ls at Howard  (Read 9235 times)

damarrb

• View Profile
    • Email
Incoming 1Ls at Howard
« on: April 29, 2005, 05:09:39 PM »
I start Howard Law this fall (2005) and I was looking for other 1Ls

Kloud Nine

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Incoming 1Ls at Howard
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 01:04:45 PM »
I start in the fall too.  I received this package of paperwork to be completed and have a question about the one that goes to the Health Center.  Do we really need to find our immunization records and send them in?  I was immunized YEARS ago and really don't feel like looking for that paperwork.

thanks!
Think before you speak.

cam108

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 01:08:42 PM »
congrats on your acceptances guys! I'm still trying to get off their waitlist. Are you two from the DC/MD area? or are you out of state?
HUSL 1L

HUSL2007

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 01:44:48 PM »
Wassup everybody

I'll be at Howard in the fall and look forward to being all yalls classmates. Does everyone know where they will be living?

I am a 2L at HUSL... if you have any questions just send me a note.

HUSL2007

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 09:46:59 PM »
I already live in DC, so I will just keep my apartment.  I live close to the Red Line, so hopefully, my commute won't be too bad (the red line is a total mess, but whatever).

HU2007 - Did you buy a computer?  If so, what kind?  Do you take your computer to class?  What kind of computer does the school recommend?  Discounts?

THANKS!!!
Think before you speak.

GJU1003

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 11:39:50 PM »
I will also be at Howard in the Fall. I will actually be in DC this week or next looking for housing. Anybody have any suggestions of places that they have seen? Thanks

HUSL2007

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 12:14:41 AM »
HUSL Housing:

Things to consider:
Are you disciplined?
Would you wake up and get to the train or leave in time to get to class ON TIME?
etc etc....

I would recommend for those that can't wake up and get to school on time (b/c HUSL has an attendance policy and they will use it!  I came uncomfortably close to getting an F before taking the exam - trust me... that was not fun!):

Connecticut Ave
Anywhere around American U
NW DC between 11 and 14th Streets
Anywhere on the red line... no more that three stops

For those with some discipline
Try NE DC near Catholic U
Deeper in NW
Silver Spring (I think this would be my new home.)

NOTE TO ALL: Try and stay off the highways...

COMPUTERS
I had a Dell... I got rid of it and I will be getting a MAC
If you want to have wireless connectivitiy through out the school make sure your laptop is wireless capable.
I would recommend getting a laptop... it is very convenient.
You can go really cheap... Dell has a great sale going on.
If your laptop does not have wireless it is okay... just make sure you have an ethernet cord.
Even if your laptop has wireless still get an ethernet cord.
Don't over spend!

My Dell was too heavy and because I will be doing a lot! next year I decided I needed something light and powerful. 

Make a great buy... think long term... and also think about moving around with the laptop from class to class if you intend to use it to take notes (like I do).

BEFORE YOU START!

SLEEEPPPPPPPPPPP
SLeep some more....

and then when you get tired sleep some more again....
You will need it...

Grab a copy of "getting to maybe" take a quick read... http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0890897603/ref=pd_sxp_f/002-6071870-0416026?v=glance&s=books (ask around... if not buy it used!)

Then get a copy of whitebread's http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0159003237/ref=ase_lawcentral-20/002-6071870-0416026?v=glance&s=books (get a used copy)

Read it now... and read it again when exams come around!

Love Yall Already!

Can't wait to see you all

Stacy

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 02:40:55 PM »
I would not do an English Basement because as a woman, I don't feel safe on the bottom floor.  If you feel secure, then do it.  You can usually find really good deals on those kinds of apartments.

Pick up one of the Apartment Guides at the grocery store or metro station if you can. Also, check the Washington Post and apartments.com.  I live over by Catholic U on the Red line.  PM me if you want details about places in my area.  You will definitely have to get up early to get to HU from there...but I am ok with that. 

I wonder if there are parking garages by the school.  HUSL2007???

Are the exams on the computer?  Did you have a problem with using a Mac?  I am computer shopping right now and have no clue of what to do!!!
Think before you speak.

damarrb

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 08:05:46 PM »
I start in the fall too.  I received this package of paperwork to be completed and have a question about the one that goes to the Health Center.  Do we really need to find our immunization records and send them in?  I was immunized YEARS ago and really don't feel like looking for that paperwork.

thanks!

It was some what of a hassle to get my records since I'm in MD now and all my shots were done in MS, but I was able to get copies rather quickly from my high school and county health dept. I just have to get some recent immunizations. I will probably go to the Howard Health Center.

damarrb

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 10:56:59 PM »
I can't verify if it is mandatory, but I think you should probably be there since a lot of things will take place there such as completing registration and ID pics. Also, you get to meet other students before class start. There is this pinning ceremony that will probably be on the Friday too. When do you get to DC?