Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: C-M Professors: Who to register for, who to avoid  (Read 3581 times)

CheezWiz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
C-M Professors: Who to register for, who to avoid
« on: April 25, 2005, 08:23:09 PM »
Ok, ye who have taken classes at C-M.  What professors are stars and which ones should one steer clear of?  I know as 1Lís we wonít have much control over who we take but it would be nice to hear some feedback on who you have taken and what you thought of them.

Thanks, and see you in the Fall!

zilla

• View Profile
Re: C-M Professors: Who to register for, who to avoid
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 10:49:44 PM »
i just graduated. here's my rundown on the top and bottom of the professor heap. unfortunately you can't pick your 1L profs.  that said...
the top: Professor Inniss, especially if she's teaching a bar topic course. I had her for property, and now that I'm studying for the bar I realize how well she prepared us.  Sundahl is pretty new, but excellent when it comes to commercial and secured transactions -- incredibly smart, challenging and keeps class interesting. You'll work hard, but it is worth it.  Mickey Davis is a genius, I had him for Torts and Copyright. The key with him is don't miss a class, and write down the rules exactly like he says them. He is by far the most entertaining prof you'll come across, and I feel so ready for torts on the bar because of his teaching methods. O'Neill is the nicest guy in the school, and a great prof. Only caveat is that he doesn't beat up on you in class, so self motivation is key.
Those were my favorites. I had others, all with strengths and weaknesses, but for the most part all were solid enough. Garlock and Ruben are both incredibly smart and challenging, but the workload is heavy. Ruben is really old school and can terrify you at times, but he really knows corporations.
The one to avoid at all costs: Professor Cherry. You could wind up with her for property, i had her for one semester. Terrible. Even if you get her for property DO NOT take her for Estates and Trusts. These are bar classes, and she teaches nothing.
Good luck at CM, I had a great time, it was hard, but I made it and came out with a great job. It may not be a Tier 1 school, but I feel like I got a top notch education.  Now, back to bar studying... 

CheezWiz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 01:29:04 AM »
I just started my first class today, so, from a newbie to a vet, thanks for the reply and goodluck with your new job.

zilla

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 10:57:09 PM »
congrats! welcome to a whole new world...
 i forgot one prof on my list: Prof. Susan Becker. She is fabulous. If she teaches Civil Procedure try to take her. I wanted to take her Sexual Orientation and the Law class, but never fit it in my schedule. she also teaches Remedies every now and again I believe. I would have signed up for any course she was teaching. She truly wants her students to understand the material, and is challenging without being punishing, either in workload or attitude.
so that's my advice of the moment! hope all goes well for you this summer.