Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L summer opportunities for Part Timers?!  (Read 4272 times)

Danielle

Re: 1L summer opportunities for Part Timers?!
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2005, 12:22:55 AM »
Again, Wow!  and Congratulations! 

It is sounding like the biggest obstacle to PT/EVE/Otherwise nontraditional law students obtaining summer internships is the other stuff that makes them go PT in the first place (jobs, young children, etc.)  So, it is not necessarily a prejudice against PTers in the marketplace.  So, if someone had a FT job with summers off there would be no problem getting a summer internship, right?

law543

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2005, 01:20:17 AM »
Again, Wow!  and Congratulations! 

It is sounding like the biggest obstacle to PT/EVE/Otherwise nontraditional law students obtaining summer internships is the other stuff that makes them go PT in the first place (jobs, young children, etc.)  So, it is not necessarily a prejudice against PTers in the marketplace.  So, if someone had a FT job with summers off there would be no problem getting a summer internship, right?

You are probably right about that. Perhaps if I was still a teacher! :)

Law543

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2005, 05:46:01 PM »
I'm thinking of relocating to another time zone to attend the school that I really want to go to on a part-time basis (Chicago-Kent, which deferred me from full-time). 

What do you guys think about getting a part-time temp or contract job for the school year, so that I have the summer for internships/associateships?  Are the classes that I would have to take in the summer also at night, so I can still do a full-time job during the day?  I guess this would only apply to the first summer, as I hope to transfer to the full-time division after that.
Fed gov't atty

Danielle

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2005, 11:31:52 PM »
From what I've learned about PT so far I would answer you, linquest, that YES, it would be possible to do temp work and leave your summer(s) open. 

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2005, 01:20:38 AM »
The summer classes are also offered at night for the PT night students, but I don't see what would prevent you from taking classes during the day, if you wanted to or were available to, and I don't see a school saying you couldn't.