Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: how much jive can one neurotic law student talk?  (Read 1591 times)

jaynyls

• View Profile
    • Email
how much jive can one neurotic law student talk?
« on: April 24, 2005, 05:48:15 PM »
My procrastination for studying has lead me here, the mecca of BS about law school and legal careers.

What amazes me is how seriously people take law school - how many hours to study, which study guides to buy, how to get involved in a study group...the questions go on and on.  But anyone who has any working experience in a firm - or any place of business, for that matter - will readily know that what they learn in school has very little to do with what's expected of them.

What are the rewards for hard work and high grades in law school anyway?  An associates position at a huge firm where you feel unimportant, replaceable, and overworked?  There's an ongoing rat race in law school, but I fail to see the merits of the coveted cheese.

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: how much jive can one neurotic law student talk?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 06:19:22 PM »
You may not see the merit in it, but others do. Getting a top job at a big firm and being able to put it on your resume when you go to get the job you REALLY want means a lot to some people. 

3Ldude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 12:37:25 AM »
Plus the smart kids get all the bitches

il Principe

• The Archon of Protocol
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 05:19:44 PM »
My procrastination for studying has lead me here, the mecca of BS about law school and legal careers.

What amazes me is how seriously people take law school - how many hours to study, which study guides to buy, how to get involved in a study group...the questions go on and on.  But anyone who has any working experience in a firm - or any place of business, for that matter - will readily know that what they learn in school has very little to do with what's expected of them.

What are the rewards for hard work and high grades in law school anyway?  An associates position at a huge firm where you feel unimportant, replaceable, and overworked?  There's an ongoing rat race in law school, but I fail to see the merits of the coveted cheese.

You sound pretty naive and dumb. 
"The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar" - Evelyn Waugh

Cosmoline

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 07:51:39 PM »

The reward for work is more work.  And the more cheese you get, the more you need.  Focus on what you want to get out of the experience and where you want to go with your career.  The rest is bravo sierra. 

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 08:06:37 PM »
A lot of those people need those jobs to pay their staggering debt loads. In some cases, a great GPA and a great LSAT have rewarded people with the inability to make less than $100,000 a year for 10-15 years after graduating law school.