Law School Discussion

Call me an idiot but how do you use auto-correct in microsoft word?

joe

So I've been going my first year without it though I'm sure it would of helped.  How's it done? Does anyone make use of it?

Does everyone use Microsoft Word to type their notes?

Re: Call me an idiot but how do you use auto-correct in microsoft word?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 12:35:16 PM »
I use Microsoft Word, but I know some people who use WordPerfect (why, I don't know  :P)

If you want to use Autocorrect (I'm assuming you don't have it turned on) go to the Tools Menu and select Autocorrect options.  You can choose which kinds of things you want autocorrected.  I find it helpful that it corrects words when I'm typing my notes, but autocorrect for things like outlining can be a pain.  Once you start using it you'll get a feel for what you like and what you don't.  Once it corrects a word, if you put your mouse on the word a little lightning bolt icon will come up that is a menu if you click on it.  You can undo the autocorrection or tell it to stop autocorrecting that word (helpful for legal terms, I assure you).

I say give it a try--if you hate it you can always turn it back off  :D

joe

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 02:55:09 PM »
I'll email you if I have questions! :-*

I use Microsoft Word, but I know some people who use WordPerfect (why, I don't know  :P)

If you want to use Autocorrect (I'm assuming you don't have it turned on) go to the Tools Menu and select Autocorrect options.  You can choose which kinds of things you want autocorrected.  I find it helpful that it corrects words when I'm typing my notes, but autocorrect for things like outlining can be a pain.  Once you start using it you'll get a feel for what you like and what you don't.  Once it corrects a word, if you put your mouse on the word a little lightning bolt icon will come up that is a menu if you click on it.  You can undo the autocorrection or tell it to stop autocorrecting that word (helpful for legal terms, I assure you).

joe

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 08:18:30 AM »
Kristen- Any other features that you know off off hand that stand out?

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 09:11:58 AM »
I think you're asking if there are any other auto-correct features that are helpful or a pain--I can't think of any right off. 

joe

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 02:56:57 PM »
I meant does Microsoft Word have another features that aren't obvious?

I think you're asking if there are any other auto-correct features that are helpful or a pain--I can't think of any right off. 

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 12:33:49 PM »
Flowcharting--if you can't use it proficiently, I would definitely practice!  It is super helpful, especially for statutes. 

joe

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 04:52:56 PM »
Alright, well too bad I lost the manual!

Flowcharting--if you can't use it proficiently, I would definitely practice!  It is super helpful, especially for statutes. 

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 05:39:13 PM »
Go to toolbars--select view, then make sure the drawing toolbar is selected.  Then you can mess around with the toolbar and figure out how to make flowcharts.  If you need specific help I would be happy to do so--just email me.   :D

joe

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 07:56:02 PM »
Thank you Kristen! :-*

Go to toolbars--select view, then make sure the drawing toolbar is selected.  Then you can mess around with the toolbar and figure out how to make flowcharts.  If you need specific help I would be happy to do so--just email me.   :D