Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: money!?  (Read 3163 times)

btvs uva

• View Profile
money!?
« on: April 24, 2005, 12:07:31 PM »
I've applied for the federal loan.. but, where does the rest of the money come from? rent, utilities, parking, food, plus law school...
Does anyone have any suggestions??  ???

Hates Sermons

• View Profile
Re: money!?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 12:21:24 PM »
Private loans, scholarships, and need based grants. If you need a loan, contact your school for lender information. Some schools may have preferred lenders. You can also contact them about any aid you were/were not awarded.

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 12:45:07 PM »
... and then look at the total of what all of the loans will be, calculate what your monthly payment will be upon graduation, assess the REAL employment/salary market for your school and situation (be real, don't kid yourself) and then ask yourself 'Is it worth it?  Am I going to be able to pay all of this back?'

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 04:14:50 AM »
In response to the question if you apply for Grad Plus loans etc you will get a refund check somewhere in the neighborhood of 12,000 for the semester. It varies by what the ABA determines is the cost of living standard etc. At the beginning of the semester 12,000 or some large number will be in your bank account and you live off that for the semester. You feel rich for a second, but then realize you get to pay all of it back later. However, if law school is something you really want to do then it is a good investment.

MEMEMEME

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 08:42:29 PM »
Not to correct you bigs, but I believe schools set their own COA. It must be that way because there are two local schools in my metro area and one has a COA of 12K and the other has a COA of 15K. Bigs is correct about GradPlus. From what I have researched, they aren't incredibly difficult to get even with bad credit but you can't have anything crazy like bankrupticies or delinquencies that you're not paying on at the moment. I believe from my research, you can have had past delinquencies on your credit report but you must be at least making payments on them and have proof and you can't have been 90 days pastdue on any federal student loans in the past five years.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 11:14:00 PM »
It is not a correction you are 100% right. Each school has different COA's and the financial aid office at each school can tell you the grad plus award etc. At my school the max you can get I believe is 14,000 a semester for COA, but I take out 12k. The grad plus loans are not to difficult to obtain as long as you are current on any prior educational loans and have no judgments, bankruptcies, etc.

How it works to follow to the OP's comment is the loan will be a refund for the money that does not go to the school and whatever your schools COA for the semester is, which can probably range from 7-19k depending on location you will have that amount appear in your bank account.