Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone in the Fall 1l class?  (Read 7674 times)

lawschoolmama

• View Profile
Anyone in the Fall 1l class?
« on: April 22, 2005, 09:47:11 PM »
Would like to hear from anyone who is attending St Thomas in the fall.............

hatley

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anyone in the Fall 1l class?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 02:33:20 AM »
How's it going?  I sent in my deposit for St. Thomas, but am not sure yet if that's where I'm headed.  How about you?  I would really like to visit before I commit.  I hear that it's not in a very nice area, but then again, I don't plan on selling anything door to door in the neighborhood.  Where are you from?  Houston, Texas here.  Good luck------Jack

Grugi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 10:23:22 AM »
Howdy,

I too have sent a deposit, but still am unsure if  I will be attending STU. I keep going back and forth as I hear less than favorable things about STU and then also RWU (up  in Rhode Island). There are a lot of things I like about STU amd the added bonus of Miami weather is exciting to a grizzled New Englander such as myself.

Recently, I spoke with a family friend who is an attorney at a amjor firm in West Palm, he said, and I quote, "the West Palm firms won't touch them (STU grads)."

This dismayed me. I know the school is on the make and the Dean is working to bring the place up, but I wondered how long that negative perception would be around and if it is more prevalent than we have been told. And if that really matters in the bigger scheme of things. Either way, too much marketing from schools, not enough cold hard data. I ask for specifics (such as statistics on firms that hired recent grads, and etc.) and all I get are generalities, "XYZ big firm has hired our gradutes in the past..."etc.

How is everyone else feeling about the place and process?
Send a shout, we just may end up as classmates.

Grugi

lawschoolmama

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 09:53:41 PM »
Did your reference in WPB say where they would hire from??  Everyone I have spoken to here in Broward County has said that everyone passes the same bar, and unless you want to go to a BIg Law fim - whoever they are in South FL - not my interest - you should be ok.

The funny thing is there are NO law schools in Palm Beach COunty, so the grads have to be coming from FU, FSU Nova (The only law school in Broward County)or other schools.

I really liked St Thomas - I got rejected at UM - no big surprise there, WL at NOva - I ahve connections so I could have called in a favor, but wasn't that interested. accepted into the Part Time program at FIU ( Wanted day, but they filled up) and turned that down.

I am very happy with my choice, and have gotten good feedback from the attorneys I know here...

As far as the area where STU is located - lets just say I wouldn't want to live right off campus.  I thought the campus itself was nice - very small and almost rural looking - interesting considering it borders onto the 826 which leads to 95.

Let me know if you have decided to attend!!

lawschoolmama

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 06:49:55 PM »
I'd like to try and revive this thread - any takers??

mcleod13

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 10:35:20 AM »
I am applying to St. Thomas and am very interested in it. Does anyone regret their choice of attending yet?

WKRUSE

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 06:24:59 AM »
Since this was a thread about a Florida school, just thought I would post the spring/summer 05 bar pass rates for each school.

1. Florida Coastal...................81. 9%
2. U of Miami........................ .79.4%
3. U of Florida...................... ..79.2%
4. Florida State......................76 .6%                   
5. Stetson...................... .......74.3%
6. FIU.......................... .........73.2%
7. non-Florida law schools......68.2%
8. Nova Southeastern U.........65.1%
9. Barry U. of Orlando............58.2%
10. St. Thomas......................5 7.9%
11. Florida A&M U.................52.9%

Good luck.

socialworker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 10:47:21 AM »
I too have sent in my deposit to St Thomas but am not sure if I will attend.  I'm looking more for the New England area and have been accepted to RWU also (went to see was not impressed).  I have a family friend who just graduated from STU and raves about it.  She said despite the low bar passage rate she and her friends studied hard and passed.  She also has a good job for a firm and is already doing litigation on her own.  She said the environment was friendly and that the Dean, who was a former State Attorney General, has a lot of pull.  After her first year, the Dean changed the policy that students had to maintain a certain GPA to keep their scholarship and changed it so that students could get more money by finishing in a certain percentage of the class.  That's about all I know about it, I haven't seen it or ever even been to Miami but would like to go check it out.  I'm also waiting for some more Boston schools, so we'll see what happens....

lawschoolmama

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 04:27:18 PM »
If you have any questions about the school let me know - I started this thread last year.  I am finishing my first year here and am very happy  . . .

socialworker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 02:58:43 PM »
Thanks for offering.  I guess I would want to know what your general impressions are.  I know that's vague, maybe how the professors seem, how the atmosphere is within the student community.  I'm from NJ and I also just got into Nova, and I'm not sure if I want to move down to Florida or which school is right for me if I do.  I guess any kind of insight would be appreciated.  Thanks!