Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What do you use your laptop for?  (Read 1828 times)

jomolungma

• View Profile
What do you use your laptop for?
« on: April 20, 2005, 08:47:19 PM »
I'm sitting here agonizing over which laptop to buy primarily because I'm not sure what I'll need to do with it during 1L, 2L and 3L.  Any of you vets want to chime in on what you use your laptop for during school so that some of us might be better informed when we drop some cash on a shiny new one?

kristin1644

• View Profile
Re: What do you use your laptop for?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 09:33:03 PM »
Basically you just need it for notes--and you can use whatever program you want for that really.  Also, some schools use the Exam4 software, so you'll want a laptop that is compatible with that.  At my school Apples/Macs aren't compatible with the Exam 4 software.

Its also a good idea to check with the schools you want to go to and see if they have any specific requirements. 

I also suggest a wireless internet card, as most schools these days have wireless access.  As far as entertainment/media options, you might as well get a CD burnder (which most laptops have anyway), but other things are optional.

Hope this helps!

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 11:15:56 PM »
Taking notes, using examsoft (so get a PC not a MAC if you want to take your exams on your laptop), and get wireless so you can browse the internet because some classes are boring as hell.

NoelleMyBelle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 11:23:30 PM »
Taking notes you can use any word processing program. You'll want a wireless card if your school has wireless internet (or will get it in the next year or two) because law students are online all the time (internet poker is big here).  Plus, it helps for research or pulling up a brief in class if you need it.

Also, you're a guy so it's probably not a big deal, but I think that portability is an issue, too.  My computer is quite small and I'm glad because I carry so many books and things for school now....much more than I carried in undergrad. 

Look for something that won't be obsolete in three years, and consider a warranty.  It's nice when your memo is due and your computer crashes to be able to call Dell or whoever and say it's their problem.  OH---and get a USB key so you can back up your notes and stuff regularly.  It's great to print in the labs, very very stable, and you have to back things up because if your hard drive crashes and you lose all your notes, you'll be a sorry fellow.

rezipsa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 04:25:56 PM »
Checking sports scores on the interntet during class... ;D

No really, laptops are a must for exams.  If your school has the option of using laptops for writing exams, I would highly recommend it.  It will save your hand.

SleepyGuyYawn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 05:10:37 PM »
A few things --

I'm going to wait until just before school (mid-August or so) to buy a laptop.  That way I'll get more technology for less money.  And even now technology is moving really really fast with laptops.

Pitt has discounts on laptops.  The law school has an IBM, a Sony, a Toshiba, and an HP/Compaq last year.  And you can get discounts through the University of Pittsburgh for Dells, Gateways, and Apples. 

I do believe you can now use pitt's exam software on apples, but you may want to check on it before you get a laptop.

Last, I wasn't quite sure about whether I'd use a laptop for notes.  Until I did a little experiment to see how my typing speed compared to my handwriting speed.  Quite nearly twice as fast.  I was surprised. 

NoelleMyBelle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 01:00:23 PM »
I would wait until august because then your warranty lasts for more of school.  I have the 3 year warranty on mine, which covers me until after the bar...

kdeevers

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 12:48:28 PM »
Some good advice.  I'm sure everyone has their own preferences, and some schools have discounts and stuff, but anyone have a GREAT laptop that they would recommend? I'm partial to Dell, but my school has deals with IBM.

SleepyGuyYawn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 01:30:14 PM »
I can really only speak for Dell and Panasonic b/c I've owned a Dell, and before that, a Panasonic Toughbook.

I was really impressed with my panasonic.  I felt like my Dell wasn't made particularly well, though.  It's an okay laptop to leave at home, but not durable enough for everyday travel. 

theexterminator

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 10:04:17 PM »
Internet, games, movies. Never for actual work. You don't need a laptop in law school. Everything professors say is bullcrap, not worth writing down.