Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Failing in Law School  (Read 5581 times)

monimone2

• View Profile
    • Email
Failing in Law School
« on: April 19, 2005, 09:08:49 PM »
I am beginning law school in January at UF and was wondering how does one fail in law school?  What characteristics does a failing law student embody?

Brisco

• View Profile
Re: Failing in Law School
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 09:36:59 PM »
Unless you are going to one of those horrible schools that specificaly try to fail out a portion of the class you don't need to worry about this.

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 10:01:34 PM »
I am beginning law school in January at UF and was wondering how does one fail in law school?  What characteristics does a failing law student embody?

The best I can do is give examples of things that I have noticed with other students that did not do well.

1. Partied too much
2. Didn't treat law school seriously
3. Skipped class too much
4. Thought the law was what THEY thought it should be instead of looking at and learning it from an objective viewpoint
5. Waiting until the last minute to do everything
6. Relying on everyone and everything else to learn the law instead of doing the work yourself
7. Not being able to see the big picture
8. Not finding a way to structure the material so that it is manageable (for me, this involves outlining but it isn't necessarily the right way for everyone)

That's about all I can think of for the moment.

joe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 10:08:37 PM »
What a great positive attitude you have! :o

monimone2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 10:51:39 PM »
No, I was wondering because everyone asks what to do in order to be successful.  I wanted to know what pitfalls to watch out for hence, my question.  I am very optimistic though!!!   ;D

joe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 01:21:41 PM »
sureeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeee ;D

No, I was wondering because everyone asks what to do in order to be successful.  I wanted to know what pitfalls to watch out for hence, my question.  I am very optimistic though!!!   ;D

joe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 01:22:32 PM »
well you can't go wrong with getting advice from lawgirl!  She KNOWS what she's talking about!

monimone2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 01:25:33 PM »
Yeah, I read her advice on how to be successful in law school.  Its very helpful and constructive.

Kelly

• I love the LSAT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 01:29:47 PM »
It's not just this thread. She can answer (in detail) just about anything you want to know.

Yeah, I read her advice on how to be successful in law school.  Its very helpful and constructive.

hempel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 03:59:20 PM »
A big factor in whether someone will fail is the attrition rate at their school. Some schools still chuck half their class at the end of 1L year. Another factor that can contribute to bad grades is not studying and not attending class.  And the main reason some people mysteriously get bad grades despite fully understanding and knowing the stuff cold is that they don't know how to write and structure their exams well.