Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: anyone attending?  (Read 26393 times)

onepoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • three down.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nikepr0be
    • View Profile
anyone attending?
« on: April 19, 2005, 08:42:50 PM »
it's looking like about 90% positive for myself.  just wanted to see if anyone has been checking this forum to find any other fall '05 incomings.
post-3L

btvs uva

• View Profile
Re: anyone attending?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 01:14:27 PM »
hey! I'm also fairly certain.. but I'm still a little on the fence. I'm actually looking for possible apartments in Pittsburgh at the moment.

onepoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • three down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 01:56:11 PM »
the best of luck with that search, you shouldn't have too much trouble.  the cost of living is surprisingly low for a city like pittsburgh.

where are you moving from, and what areas are you checking out?
post-3L

btvs uva

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 09:30:06 AM »
yeah I've definitely been surprised at how cheap things are. I'm coming from Virginia, and I'm checking out Shadyside/Squirrel Hill areas?

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 09:19:54 PM »
Consider the Southside, I think it's the easist commute.  I live on the Northside, that takes about 10 minutes.  Also Regent Square is just above Squirrel Hill- very nice a little cheaper.

I'm a 2l if you have any school specific questions.

onepoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • three down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 06:17:32 PM »
nice, thanks for the advice.

i have a friend doing pre-med something or other at pitt, and his dad is looking to buy a condo/townhouse in shadyside somewhere near walnut.  i guess that's where i'll wind up.
post-3L

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005, 07:03:09 PM »
Commute down 5th Ave to Dusquense can be a little annoying from Shadyside depending on the time.  But the area is very attractive and there are some decent bars/restaurants.   

btvs uva

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 10:43:50 PM »
is there an area that most of the law students seem to live around?
do most people take a bus or drive? driving seems like it can get a little expensive with the parking garage.

onepoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • three down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2005, 12:23:31 PM »
Commute down 5th Ave to Dusquense can be a little annoying from Shadyside depending on the time.  But the area is very attractive and there are some decent bars/restaurants.   

i was thinking that about 5th, i guess i'll just have to deal with it.

the owner of cappy's cafe (on walnut) is a personal friend, i'm going to see if i can get a hookup behind the bar maybe once a week to keep a couple extra bucks in my pocket.
post-3L

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2005, 06:00:21 PM »
Most people seem to live on the Southside.  It's the closest residential area and you can walk to a large selection of bars.  (If that is important to you).  It is starting to get pricer there, however.  But if you can get a roomate or two you can get some very cool apartments.  The ungergraduate Duquesne population tends to live there, so close to the main drag it is a little loud on weekends.  Nothing like South Oakland though, which is Pitt's undergraduate slum.  Squirrel Hill/Shadyside/Regent Square get some people.  Only a few live downtown, it's expensive and a few in my neighborhood or in the North Hills.   

Absolutely get the parking pass.  If you compare the cost of the bus (I think it is 1.75 now per ride) with the parking permit, the car is perfectly economic.  Plus you truly do not have time to wait or work with the bus schedule, your time is at a premium.

I have a few LS friends who bartend.  It's a good way to get some extra cash on a flexible schedule.