Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: anyone attending?  (Read 27264 times)

sunny478

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: anyone attending?
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2005, 06:31:01 PM »
I'm almost done settling into my apartment and I'm looking forward to seeing more of the city.  This weekend I went to the Ellsworth and Walnut street fairs and bought some framed pictures.  One of the stages on Ellsworth last night had these fabulous drag queens running around singing early 90's dance songs and families were clapping along and dancing! It was so much fun and I'm so happy I'm living in Shadyside.

Many books aren't available yet. The selection is quite sparse so I went to Pitt's bookstore and barristerbooks.com to get more. Before you head down to Duquesne, call to see what's available so the trip won't be wasted.

Are you already in Pittsburgh? If not that's a good thing because the weather here has been miserably hot. Where did you end up getting an apartment?

onepoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • three down.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nikepr0be
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2005, 03:22:06 PM »
i'm actually up in the north hills, next to the ross park mall on mcknight.  it takes me about 10-12 minutes to get down to duquesne without traffic.  i went this morning to pick up my parking pass, get some financial aid info ironed out, and grabbed some books.  i have to head back at 5pm for the whole registration/orientation racket.  then i believe we're heading out in shadyside for the night.

what sections did you wind up in?  i have to brief 8 cases in a book i'm not sure is available, for monday  ;)
post-3L

sunny478

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2005, 11:18:05 AM »
Did you time the 10-12 minutes?  :P

Yesterday I fell asleep during the entirety of orientation. I'm in section A for everything except one class where I'm in H. Today I'm going down to the bookstore to get the rest because of assignments. One professor gave us 2 movies to watch and 84 pages to read - sweet.

Last night my friends and I were at a party in shadyside but never quite made it to the bars, only Villiage Pizza... which was fine with me. Tonight we'll probably be prowling Walnut. Which bars did you hit? Good luck with the work, don't worry, you'll get it all done.

onepoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • three down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2005, 12:00:30 PM »
ok scratch that whole "10-12" minutes thing.  i left at the same time today (about 8:50am), and i sat in bumper-to-bumper for over an hour.  had to walk in to contracts a couple minutes late.  wtf is so different between monday/tuesday traffic?  ah who knows.

village pizza, eh?  you HAVE to try the bbq chicken pizza there if you didn't already.  every time we stop in shadyside we wind up with one or two of them on our way back to mcknight.  we usually do walnut grille or william penn tavern.  actually we did both friday.

so how are the classes treating you?  i'm a b-section'er.  and how hot was that auditorium during orientation?
post-3L

sunny478

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2005, 10:12:38 PM »
Oh man, an hour to get to school, that's awful. So what time are you leaving in the morning now? I try to get there around 9 to get a decent parking spot and get collected before class.

So far I've been to a few bars on Walnut and I like the Shady Grove above the Walnut Grille and the roof of Doc's the best. This week I'm just trying to keep my head on straight and get the work done so I can enjoy the Walnut street jam on Sat. After the jam maybe we'll give the BBQ chicken pizza a try - last time we got the spinach/pesto one and it tasted awesome.

As for orientation, like I said I fell asleep... I blame the heat. So far the work amount is manageable but reading the cases is a bit tedious. How are you doing with everything? I've met a few people in your section, fellow library nerds, and they seem a bit freaked out.

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2005, 10:17:52 PM »
Ah, the tension rate does go up papably in the air everytime a 1L walks by.  It will all be better in a few weeks once everyone gets adjusted and makes a few friends.  Then, one fabulous day, some brave classmate will look a prof in the eye and say, "Pass."  Everyone will expect him or her to instantaneously suffer some horribel agony.  Then nothing will happen, the prof will move on, and you will all realize that you are free to relax.

onepoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • three down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2005, 02:03:08 PM »
i've been taking it stride pretty well so far, i like to think.  just doing what i can to stay on top of the readings/briefings.  right now i'm sitting in the library trying to knock out some crim reading/briefing so i can take it easy at that 'bar review' tonight @ bar louie.

we're definitely headed over to the walnut st jam in shady this weekend, i heard it's a riot.  just my style :D

my transit time is back down to 15 minutes.. apparently it was all bottlenecked tuesday because of some inspirational speaker @ mellon arena.  something like 15,000 people jammed the place.  must be some talker.

i haven't really met many section A'ers yet.  maybe in one of the mixed up classes, but pretty much everyone i've been talking to around here is B.  i guess i'll have to work on changing that tonight at louie.
post-3L

sunny478

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2005, 05:38:03 PM »
So I'm guessing now you have to stay up on local current events just to get to class on time? Right now I'm working on legal process and procedure but it's going slow because I'm antsy from all this library time. the bar review tonight should be good, too bad section A has 10 am classes... are you one of those lucky people who don't have Friday classes at all?

onepoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • three down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 29, 2005, 09:20:37 AM »
i definitely can't complain about my fridays, i have research/writing @ 1:30, and it was cancelled this past week anyway.  did you have a good time at bar review?  we weren't there very long, maybe an hour or so.  i still had a blast.
post-3L

sunny478

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: August 29, 2005, 06:18:11 PM »
I had a great time at bar louie too. In three hours I still didn't get to talk to everyone I wanted to. There were so many people in my section struggling through our 10 am torts. Not too thrilled about driving so far for thursday night drinks though - I'm tempted to put up fake fliers advertising the next bar review at Doc's. How's it going up in the north hills - are other law students from duq there?