Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: anyone attending?  (Read 26974 times)

onepoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • three down.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nikepr0be
    • View Profile
Re: anyone attending?
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005, 04:12:41 PM »
rapunzel- thanks for the info/advice.  when do students inquire about parking passes?  is this something that should be taken care of well before classes start?  are they gobbled up fast?

and as far as testing goes, were you one of the "roughly 30%" of students who signed up to use a laptop this year?  i received an email response from milan about duquesne offering securexam software for mac laptops this coming year.  said it was a possibility, but that not many students signed up to use laptops in the first place.  i really hope i can keep my powerbook ;)
post-3L

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2005, 07:51:00 PM »
They will send you info to sign up for parking.  Send it back promptly and you will be fine.  Forbes garage or Locust are easiest.

I do not own a laptop.  I think the amount of students who use them for exams will increase dramtically as classes come in knowing that they can use them.  You have to change your exam strategy and how you manage your time, that's why not everybody is doing it.  My Con Law profs gives completely open book exams, so I can use a library computer for that.  Two of my other exams this semester are objective instead of essay, so there's not a compelling reason for me to go buy a laptop.  I think they are working on getting softwear for macs.  If you are a fast typist then a laptop for first year exams is not a bad idea.  Easier to edit.

onepoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • three down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2005, 11:31:06 PM »
do most students use laptops for note-taking and whatever in class?

when reading school reviews it seems like everyone makes note of how many power outlets are in the classes, how good the wireless internet/network range is, etc.  i don't notice much about laptops at all throughout duquesne's web site.

i didn't get the chance to sit in on any classes, though i have been to and around the law school itself for my LSAT.
post-3L

btvs uva

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 07:50:07 AM »
when i visited the school and sat in on a contracts class (one week ago), most students definitely had a laptop. there were maybe two or three students who did not.

it didn't look like there were many power outlets at all. most students were using battery power.

from what the director of admin. said, it seems like the school is aiming to become more technologically savvy in the near future. he also said that one professor in particular doesn't let students use laptops, but I think that that is unusual.

onepoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • three down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2005, 12:21:21 PM »
i guess now i just have to keep my fingers crossed that they'll offer the mac version of securexam in the fall.  i can't come up with a good reason as to why they wouldn't, unless softwaresecure charges a largely increased fee for both licenses.
post-3L

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2005, 06:53:33 PM »
The 2 main lecture halls were refitted last summer with outlets for all and wireless internet is throughout the school.  No one in my study group uses a laptop, but I'd say more students do then don't.  I'm not much of a note taker, so I don't use one.  I think it would be hard for me to switch over to that system, plus I'd be on the net or playing games anyway.  I expect that since your class will come in knowing that you can use your laptops on the exam, almost everyone will have them.  Time really matters on first year exams.

sunny478

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2005, 10:56:35 PM »
I hope the network is compatible with macs too.  There's no way I'm ponying up $1000+ for a computer I don't even want. 

Onto the ?'s

Have any incoming students received material other than newsletter-type information?  It would be nice if the school acted like they remember I exist.

I'm visiting Pittsburgh for the first time in two weeks.  Is it easy to get an apartment?   I guess Southside and Shadyside seem to be the #1 places to live and I'd like to rent as soon as I can. 

Seems like everyone from the other schools has been to some sort of meet and greet.  Did Duquesne have a secret 0L meeting I didn't know about??

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2005, 01:09:50 PM »
There is orientation. Registration followed by mass (optional) and then a reception with falculty and dean.  There is also a picnic where you can meet an upperclassmen assigned to you like a big brother/sister.  Use that resource.  I don't recall getting much mail in June.  Our registrar sits in her office and drinks I think, we are still waiting on most of our grades.  We have a new dean incoming, so think are goiing to shake up a bit I predict.

No macs, last I heard.  Call the computer people- they are awesome.

You are coming early enough to get an apartment.  I'd say Southside is most convienant, and certainly if you like to drink, you'll never have to drive.
Shadyside is okay, I think it's pricey.  Squirrel Hill is not a bad choice either.  Some people live downtown first year, but most moved to one of the three neighborhoods you mentioned after that.  Do not touch S. Oakland. N. Oakland has some decent stuff.

onepoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • three down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2005, 04:25:29 PM »
Milan in the computer dept. informed me that Duquesne may be offering SecurExam software for Macs this coming fall, as a version was recently released.  I'm going to shoot an email off to see if there's been any progress on that.

According to Duq's website, Macs are supported as far as network connectivity goes (http://www.lawlib.duq.edu/dcli_wireless.htm, middle of the page).

I'm in the same boat, as I don't want to spend money for a laptop when I already have an Apple Powerbook G4.

I just received my financial aid info in the mail this past week.  They're giving me the full federal 18.5, and now I have to pick which private lender I want to go with and get the ball rolling I suppose.

I'll be living in Shadyside with a friend who attends Pitt, btw.
post-3L

sunny478

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2005, 01:21:40 AM »
Thanks for all the info... glad I didn't miss out on a super secret orientation. Let's cross our fingers for mac compatibility on tests.  I'm visiting Pittsburgh for the first time June 17-19 and hoping to secure house tours the entire three days...  staying alone at a friend's house that weekend (she'll be 2L at Duq) in Squirrel Hill so I'm looking forward to checking out the area.

PS the registrar sounds like the place to be