Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What can you do to push and motivate yourself?  (Read 35428 times)

jewelbomb

• View Profile
Re: What can you do to push and motivate yourself?
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2005, 10:33:44 PM »
Really, drugs ARE suicide . . . in a way

Not that I'm an addict or anything but jesus, are most people in LS this square? Really though, not that I would suggest using drugs to "cope" with things, but "drugs" (whatever that even means-caffeine, beer, prozac, crank, smack...they certainly aren't the same things) are no more suicide than eating poorly, not exercising, or a host of other "unhealthy" things most people do all the time.

leo1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2005, 06:00:43 PM »
Really, drugs ARE suicide . . . in a way

Not that I'm an addict or anything but jesus, are most people in LS this square? Really though, not that I would suggest using drugs to "cope" with things, but "drugs" (whatever that even means-caffeine, beer, prozac, crank, smack...they certainly aren't the same things) are no more suicide than eating poorly, not exercising, or a host of other "unhealthy" things most people do all the time.

i was wondering the same thing. and no, most law students at my law school aren't this square. there's just as much drinking and drug use as at any college...

Burning Sands

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2005, 10:38:13 AM »
When I came to my first official law school event hosted by the faculty, and I saw alcohol openly available in the law school...I knew it was gonna be a long year.
Burning Sands

Noelle

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2005, 03:54:11 PM »
Jesus Christ, are all lawyers dopes?

labamba

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2005, 11:52:48 PM »
there's just as much drinking and drug use as at any college...

At my school it's much worse (or better, depending on your point of view!) Within their cliques students do a hell of a lot of drugs I've heard - they exchange with each-other every drug you can think of, from Adderall to cocaine to weed

)(

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2005, 05:44:54 AM »
Substance abuse among lawyers is a terrible problem. Studies indicate that the alcoholism rate among lawyers may be twice that of the general population perhaps 20% of the total number of lawyers. It is unknown whether this high incidence rate results from the extreme stress of practicing law, or because the same personality traits predispose one to law practice and substance abuse. Nobody knows the extent of cocaine abuse among lawyers, but it too is undoubtedly substantial and devastating.

Substance abuse inevitably results in impaired performance at least poor judgment, incompetence and neglect of client affairs, sometimes fraud and theft from clients. 50 - 70% of the disciplinary cases brought before state bar ethics panels result at least in part from alcohol or drug abuse. A great many malpractice cases also have their roots in substance abuse.

_/

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2005, 06:24:04 AM »
there's just as much drinking and drug use as at any college...

At my school it's much worse (or better, depending on your point of view!) Within their cliques students do a hell of a lot of drugs I've heard - they exchange with each-other every drug you can think of, from Adderall to cocaine to weed

Not all the time! At my school it's mostly during exams' time that many law students go crazy with drugs, not eating, not exercising, studying for 8-10 straight hours!

il Principe

• The Archon of Protocol
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2005, 02:25:27 PM »
Do I really want to flush all this $ down the drain?

Bingo.  That motivates me as well.  Do I really want to flush all this TIME down the drain?  works wonders too.
"The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar" - Evelyn Waugh

katrina

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2005, 05:00:28 PM »
studying for 8-10 straight hours!

8-10 straight hours my ass!
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office

istically

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2005, 06:33:25 PM »
4-5 hours a day should be enough for the exams study period. If you need more time than that, you're just slow.