Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What can you do to push and motivate yourself?  (Read 36424 times)

sity

• View Profile
Re: What can you do to push and motivate yourself?
« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2006, 06:43:50 PM »
I thought I would ask the question: How many students here take drugs? And when I say "drugs" I mean amphetamines, marijuana, alcohol abuse, or name your own drug. Seems down right ludicrous the Bar Examiners may be reluctant to admit you to the bar if you have a DUI on your record but you could be a raging coke-head with no record and be admitted.

I hear 50% of students are on amphetamines. They claim it helps them stay awake longer and study harder ... which it does. In fact, those of them that were taking phen-phen performed better on finals than those of us who didn't.

I'm starting to feel like the poor athlete who can't afford the performance enhancing drugs and will consequently miss out on the million dollar sponsorship deals.

analo gy

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2006, 06:53:26 PM »
There is a guy at my school who smokes a bowls worth of marijuana every day. They say marijuana is very helpful in terms of relaxing, and not getting caught up in the law students mass freak-out. As a soon to be graduating 3L, he goes now to class high! He was so used to the silly routine of law school that he could get called on after having read the material in 20 minutes, pass with flying colors and BE HIGH the whole time. And he is still in the top half of his class.

youyou

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2006, 07:25:37 PM »

Blatant coke use happens at law schools school and for the most part it is difficult to catch students on cocaine because it is not an outwardly noticeable thing.

Cocaine is not to be portrayed as a reinforcer of compulsive behaviour as it is often presented from the perspective of pathology. In contrast, one has to make room for the perspective of the majority of users in which it often appears as one of the hedonistic entities of everyday life. The importance of taking drug related pleasure as a research topic can be illustrated by the serious attempt to understand controlled drug use.

For example most cocaine users do not lose control. Apparently some "control mechanisms" exist and they are not restricted to cocaine. This conclusion has been reached by a growing number of drug researchers. A full understanding of control mechanisms is still lacking as well as a a thorough theoretical investigation of this concept itself. But, assuming the validity of such a concept, one of the regulators of drug use might very well be a relative change in drug related pleasure when drug use exceeds certain limits. A cocaine study has showed for instance that when a level of use of 2.5 grams of cocaine per week is exceeded, the number of reported unpleasant negative effects rises steeply. This could very well be one of the explanations of why levels above 2.5 gram per week are so rarely maintained over longer periods in experienced cocaine users, even though many respondents are very well able to financially support such levels of use.

In many psychological and sociological views on drug use both the concepts of drug related pleasure and controlled use are of little or no importance. Heroin and cocaine allegedly cannot be used in a controlled and pleasurable manner because the concepts of control and pleasure conflict with ruling notions. Loss of control and extreme misery is what the use of these drugs will yield. Empirical verification from an epidemiological point of view of such ex cathedra notions is still rare.

If one realizes that much of our knowledge about the use of cocaine has come from studies done by clinicians, one also comes to realize that there is a sampling bias with the data that clinicians use in their generalisations. This problem is similar to the problem one would have if our knowledge about the use of alcohol would be derived solely by the knowledge gathered by clinicians working in alcohol treatment. Alcohol users not seen by these medical professionals of course do exist and are indeed the great majority of the users of alcohol.

ism

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2006, 06:13:59 AM »
The Nazis developed a cocaine-based drug to boost the performance of their soldiers in combat during World War II and tested it on prisoners in 1944, according to a magazine report. It was Hitler's last secret weapon to win a war he had already lost long ago. The drug, codenamed D-IX, was tested at the Sachsenhausen concentration camp north of Berlin, where prisoners loaded with 20 kg packs were reported to have marched 90 km without rest. "After 24 hours, most were completely exhausted," one former prisoner wrote in his diary. 

The Nazis had planned to issue the drug to all their soldiers, but Allied forces closed in before the project could get off the ground. From 1933 the Nazis had campaigned against the use of drugs, particularly cocaine, which was widely used in the 1920s. But as early as 1939, German soldiers were supplied with the amphetamine Pervitine, with about 29 million pills being delivered to the troops from April to December that year.
The lawyer profession is a criminal cult enterprise.

rev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2006, 09:48:49 AM »
LOL Funny story!

As to drugs .. Every law student does drugs. Most of them are "legal" prescription kinds. I know so many law students that told me that the only way they survived law school was to do it on drugs. Most law student are hippies anyways, and no-one can prove me wrong.

I wouldn't say "every" law student does drugs ... but a majority of them does!

i'm currently in recovery from an addiction to prescription amphetamines.  i will *not* be using drugs in school

reese

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2006, 06:14:32 AM »

i will *not* be using drugs in school

you'll get plenty of Cs

rev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2006, 11:56:47 PM »

i will *not* be using drugs in school

you'll get plenty of Cs

sure i will.

run along now, sonny

revelare

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2006, 01:06:49 AM »

The Nazis developed a cocaine-based drug to boost the performance of their soldiers in combat during World War II and tested it on prisoners in 1944, according to a magazine report. It was Hitler's last secret weapon to win a war he had already lost long ago. The drug, codenamed D-IX, was tested at the Sachsenhausen concentration camp north of Berlin, where prisoners loaded with 20 kg packs were reported to have marched 90 km without rest. "After 24 hours, most were completely exhausted," one former prisoner wrote in his diary. 

The Nazis had planned to issue the drug to all their soldiers, but Allied forces closed in before the project could get off the ground. From 1933 the Nazis had campaigned against the use of drugs, particularly cocaine, which was widely used in the 1920s. But as early as 1939, German soldiers were supplied with the amphetamine Pervitine, with about 29 million pills being delivered to the troops from April to December that year.

Hitler did pervitine himself.

From 1942, the Nazi leader Adolf Hitler received daily injections of methamphetamine from his personal physician, Dr Theodor Morell. Hitler's ailments have been attributed to everything from tertiary syphilis to Parkinson's disease. But many of The Führer's clinical signs and symptoms may have been caused by his exotic drug regimen.

In Hitler's Wehrmacht, methamphetamine tablets branded as Pervitin were liberally distributed to German fighting troops throughout the War. Amphetamines are "power drugs" that reduce fatigue, heighten aggression, and diminish human warmth and empathy.

How could Hitler continue to exert such a grip on the German people until the last days of the War? Talking to a prison psychologist while awaiting trial, ex-Governor General of Poland Hans Frank (1900-1946) describes Hitler's charismatic effect on him ...

"I can hardly understand it myself. There must be some basic evil in me. In all men. Mass hypnosis? Hitler cultivated this evil in man. When I saw him in that movie in court, I was swept along again for a moment, in spite of myself. Funny, one sits in court feeling guilt and shame. Then Hitler appears on the screen and you want to stretch out your hand to him . . . . It's not with horns on his head or with a forked tail that the devil comes to us, you know. He comes with a captivating smile, spouting idealistic sentiments, winning one's loyalty. We cannot say that Adolf Hitler violated the German people. He seduced us."

rev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2006, 08:31:37 AM »
kamikaze pilots were routinely tweaked prior to launch.  i guess the eurphoric effects neutralized the fear of crashing into things.

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 18, 2006, 09:25:36 PM »
I go back to my full time job everyday and think 'God, I can't do this for the rest of my life'...