Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New SLU Students  (Read 4829 times)

Cenerentola

• View Profile
New SLU Students
« on: April 18, 2005, 10:08:30 PM »
I am going to be attending SLU in the fall and am quite excited.  I would love to hear from fellow Class of 2008 students or older students who might like to impart a few words of wisdom upon us future 1Ls.  And for the 2008ers, feel free to share opinions about the school, where you are going to be living, etc.
Can't wait to meet all of you in the fall!

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: New SLU Students
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 02:23:55 AM »
Hey there!

SLU was literally the last place I applied to, but I was accepted quickly and so thought I owed it at least a visit before striking it off my list.  Surprisingly, I went there and fell in love with the campus and the town!  I came in on a Friday afternoon though, so basically everyone was gone after the class I attended  :(  Now I'm stuck trying to decide between 3 schools but still haven't heard from all the ones I applied to yet.

In any case, what's everyone's opinion of the student body?  faculty?  career prospects?  reputation outside of MO?

Especially interested in hearing opinions of people who are not from the area but also visited....
Fed gov't atty

Cenerentola

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 05:34:24 PM »
Hi linquest,

I haven't had the chance to visit yet and am also waiting on 4 more schools, all of which are possibilities.  Nevertheless, I have my heart set on attending SLU just because I have known for about a month now that I am accepted and am in the kind of mental preparation to go there. 

I still haven't visited (I am a west coast girl), so I can't give any personal opinions.  From friends of mine that have visited (also west coast/las vegas people), they all really liked it.  I have heard over and over about how there are bad areas of town (some of which are by the school), but overall mostly good things about the area.

It's hard because I would like to move back to San Diego, but I know SLU doesn't have a huge rep outside of MO, but I think that unless you are going to do BigLaw, you aren't completely trapped in MO.  Still, all of this is from opinions and hearsay.  I would love any current SLU students to give some advice.

mmhome

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 11:51:22 PM »
I am a current 1L at SLU.  Please e-mail me and I will be happy to give you any info you want.  And don't be scared away by the talk of the bad neighborhoods around the school.  It is really not a problem.

rajagup

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 03:56:53 PM »

I am pretty sure I will be attending SLU in the fall as well, still hearing from a waitlist somewhere else, but I think slu and st. louis should be fun.  Im coming from DC, so i'm sure it'll be a culture shock for me, but I think it'll be good.  A very close friend of mine just graduated from SLU and is now at a phat law firm in the st. louis.  We've talked over the years about the school and city and from that i feel i'll enjoy it and be surprised.

WKRUSE

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 02:44:01 PM »
I lived in St. Louis for 25 years.  I loved the campus and two of my fraternity brothers went to law school at SLU.  My best friend completed his undergrad there as well.  If I could have attended there, it would have been one of my top picks.  Great city, great school and a hell of a place to work after you get out.  When you look at the starting salaries, keep in mind that most people who move there, stay there.  They also have on of the lowest costs of living of any major city in the country.  Good luck.