Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What do you do if you're nervous about public speaking?  (Read 13567 times)

Ivy Man

• View Profile
Re: What do you do if you're nervous about public speaking?
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2005, 11:43:38 AM »
What do you want to know?

Cool, this is one of the schools I'm looking at.  Do you have any advice?

University of Pennsylvania.

Raise your hand a lot??!!! Hahaha.  Hilarious.

Where do you go to law school Ivy Man?

No need to worry Kelly.  You'll have plenty of practice once you start law school.  Just raise your hand a lot ;) and participate in moot court.

Kelly

• I love the LSAT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2005, 12:32:16 PM »
What was your LSAT? GPA?  What did you write your write your personal essay on?, etc.?

No need to worry Kelly.  You'll have plenty of practice once you start law school.  Just raise your hand a lot ;) and participate in moot court.

Ivy Man

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2005, 10:30:04 PM »
I'll PM you with answers to your questions. Also, email me if you have any other questions.

What was your LSAT? GPA?  What did you write your write your personal essay on?, etc.?

Kelly

• I love the LSAT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2005, 10:44:25 PM »
Okay, thanks!

I'll PM you with answers to your questions. Also, email me if you have any other questions.

touro1979

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2005, 10:11:33 AM »
I hated public speaking before I came to law school and I would avoid classes in undergrad that had oral presentations.  Once I came to law school I became more and more used to it.  I still am not crazy about speaking to a bunch of people but it gets easier.  I interned at the Brooklyn DA's office and you are allowed to stand up on the record on misdemeanor cases.  I have done various pretrial court appearences and arraigned def. in my opinionit is much easier to speak to a judge then a jury.  The good news is that when you are litigator or crim defense attorney you only speak to the jury on two occaisons, the opening and closing.  The rest of the trial you are adressing the judge and individual Witnesses.  When I first came to law school I wanted to get a legal job where all I did was research and draft.  NOT ANYMORE.  Put me in a courtroom any day of the week.  I would much rather speak in court then spend all day drafting motions to dismiss.

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2005, 12:09:55 PM »
you'll quickly find out that there is a big difference between delivering a prepared statement in front of a crowd and getting grilled by a prof on novel material in front of 100 of your peers

trouble

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2005, 10:18:08 PM »
In a nutshell:

Don't worry, you'll get over it.   ;)
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."  Ralph Waldo Emerson