Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What do you do if you're nervous about public speaking?  (Read 13191 times)

Mary

• View Profile
Re: What do you do if you're nervous about public speaking?
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2005, 08:59:33 PM »
Honestly, you need to and have to just get over your fear.  Otherwise, you're screwed and should not be a litigator.

Thanks!
In a way, I'm looking forward to it but in another way- I'm very nervous and I have doubts.

If hope this helps...

I was a strategic communication major in undergrad. The reason I chose this major was to confront one of my greatest fears -Public Speaking. I knew there were going to be many speeches, some short-5min. and others pretty long-30min. Before I chose the major, I knew I wanted to go to law school. I knew that gpa was important and convinced myself that if I didnt become a good public speaker to get the grades, I wouldnt even get into law school. Most people called me crazy, because you are supposed to pick a major you enjoy. I realized that without PS, that I probably wasnt going to do well in law school, or at least be comfortable.

As it turned out, I became a much better speaker but I never got over being nervous and sometimes a little scared. I ended up graduating at the top of my class and making the grades to get into law school. The whole point I'm trying to convey to you, is that being afraid and being nervous is ok and it may even work to your advantage. I have faith that you will become that litigator. I'm not sure if you've started or are about to start, but always remember that law school is a psychological boot camp, and only the strong will survive. You must face your fears!

Sincerely

labamba

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2005, 12:15:24 AM »
If professors begin to grill you respond to them using some nasty and/or sarcastic word -- they will shut the fuk up!

LOL ;)

Ivy Man

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2005, 11:25:41 PM »
No need to worry Kelly.  You'll have plenty of practice once you start law school.  Just raise your hand a lot ;) and participate in moot court.

Kelly

• I love the LSAT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2005, 12:23:47 AM »
Raise my hand a lot?  Lol.  Nice.

No need to worry Kelly.  You'll have plenty of practice once you start law school.  Just raise your hand a lot ;) and participate in moot court.

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2005, 01:01:07 AM »
Raise my hand a lot?  Lol.  Nice.

Are you getting nervous?

Mary

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2005, 12:33:41 AM »
Raise your hand a lot??!!! Hahaha.  Hilarious.

Where do you go to law school Ivy Man?

Ivy Man

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2005, 02:40:11 PM »
University of Pennsylvania.

sierraalpha

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2005, 03:44:28 PM »
Hey Kelly,

You might have specific social anxiety disorder, where your body physiologically reacts to certain stimuli by drastically increasing your heart rate and shallowing your breath, kind of like a panic attack. Probably in circumstances where you have to speak up with a formal expectation to do so and in formal settings like classrooms.

I know I have had a moderate case of this since I can remember, but I didn't talk to a psychiatrist until only two weeks ago. And aside from prescribing drugs, which I didn't want, the key to relax this condition, is like other people said by desensitizing the person through progressive exposure to it. It's just like another phobia I guess...

Kelly

• I love the LSAT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2005, 07:04:25 PM »
I agree that I don't want to take any medication for it.  I don't believe in that.  I hope it's one of those things that I will totally get over (and get better at) once I start law school.

Hey Kelly,

You might have specific social anxiety disorder, where your body physiologically reacts to certain stimuli by drastically increasing your heart rate and shallowing your breath, kind of like a panic attack. Probably in circumstances where you have to speak up with a formal expectation to do so and in formal settings like classrooms.

I know I have had a moderate case of this since I can remember, but I didn't talk to a psychiatrist until only two weeks ago. And aside from prescribing drugs, which I didn't want, the key to relax this condition, is like other people said by desensitizing the person through progressive exposure to it. It's just like another phobia I guess...

Kelly

• I love the LSAT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2005, 07:05:20 PM »
Cool, this is one of the schools I'm looking at.  Do you have any advice?

University of Pennsylvania.