Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Living in DC  (Read 783 times)

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AllisonAzee
    • View Profile
Living in DC
« on: April 17, 2005, 02:08:49 AM »
I have a question for current students in DC.  I'm going to American next year and want to live in a group house sort of situation.  I'm goign to American and am hoping to live in the area.  Will everything be gone if I start look in July?  Or is the housing market not too bad. And just generally is living with other law students a good or bad idea?  I was also thinking of maybe getting with some Georgetown studnets because its not too far and it might be nice to meet some people outside of my own law school.
Time to commit: American
They like me: American, Loyola, Santa Clara, U of OR, U of Hawaii
They love me ($):Pepperdine, U of SF, Northeastern, Seattle, Lewis and Clark
Aren't ready to commit: U of Wisconsin, U of Maryland
B@stards won't return my calls: U of San Diego
F#ckers: Hastings

1LBored

• View Profile
Re: Living in DC
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 10:08:47 AM »
As long as you've got your own room and they're not complete weirdos, living with law students is a good idea. They'll understand the schedule, why you're so busy and stay in your room all the time, understand that there can be no parties anywhere near finals, etc. Also you'll have a ready made study group, or at least someone near by to ask questions of or bounce ideas off when you're doing some reading you dont really understand.

Living with law students from another school is also a decent idea, as that might help with expanding the social circle outside of your school, something you'll have an issue with since you wont really know anyone else in D.C. and you'll still get most of the benefits of living with people from your school.

Not looking til July is pretty risky. Does American have any sort of system for facilitating contact between incoming 1Ls looking for housing? I was looking in NoVa, not actually DC, but this is probably similar: There will be things available in July, but your options will dwindle (i.e. you may have to pay more, or not get such a great location), especially options involving living with other law students, as many of them will figure out what they're doing earlier on. I didnt figure out where I was living until late July, about a week before I left for school, but I really wouldnt recommend waiting that long.

GW2L

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 12:50:23 PM »
The housing market in DC is not too bad.  You can definitely find something in July.  Look at Craigslist.
Also, make sure you find something on the red line.

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 04:10:51 PM »
Yeah I'm hoping to live in walking distance as hauling my laptop and tons of heavy books along DC's publich transport everyday doesn't sound really appealling.  Should I maybe make a trip out in May?  Or is that too early.  I'm trying to gauge when everyone sort of gets together and leases are signed for the coming year and things.  I know at my old college it was done pretty early for the following year.

keska

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 04:49:46 PM »
I got to American.  You'll be fine waiting until summer to find something.  There are lots of apartments in decent areas.  Now, if you want to find one of those basement apartments in a house near the law school, that may take a little more time.  Still, I think those people advertise using flyers at the law school.

If you want to live within walking distance, then you either have to live in basement apartment, live in one of the buildings on Massachusetts Ave just up from the school or live near Tenleytown Metro.  I took a group home near there my first year.  It's about a 20-25 minute walk.  The only unfortunate thing is that the law school is in such a residential area.  It's pretty, but it's not really convenient.

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 01:21:40 AM »
Yeah I'm hoping to live in a group house within walking distance. I've heard horror stories about basement apartments and don't really want to live alone anyway and its basically cost prohibitive anyway.