Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Dating lawyers  (Read 3723 times)

carrie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dating lawyers
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 12:21:42 AM »
I agree with you there.  But we would have a better chance at someone emphasizing with what we go through if we were to marry someone as busy as us (doctor, lawyer, etc.)  Not to mention, isn't every girl's dream to be married to a doctor?!

There are lawyers who are regular people...

Of course there are, Noelle!  Personally, I resent the stigma associated with our profession.  The reason I said I would rather date a school teacher than a lawyer (or a doctor for that matter) is that I would like to be with someone who's schedule isn't as full as mine.  I think it would be very difficult to find time to spend together if you both have very demanding jobs.

urguya

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 07:54:58 PM »
Yeah I was wondering what dating a lawyer would be like, you kind of get this horrible image in your head of a womanizer, but then again I watch to much tv.

Ah, yes but this is modern times and the practice of law is not restricted to only men-- I have also known several successful women lawyers, who are as tough as the men. I think many lawyers are not especially romantic, and tend to view relationships as to how they might benefit their careers (business savvy.)

I must remember to re-evaluate my intended purpose.

Yeah I know you're probably right about a lot of women too, but that is still depressing.  Considering for the next three years and beyond I'm going to be surrounded by lawyers not being able to date any will suck. 

Why are you so sure you won't be able to date any?

theexterminator

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 10:07:48 PM »
If you date a lawyer, you're f-ing smart. True, they're boring as hell, but they do have money!

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AllisonAzee
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 10:11:47 PM »
Yeah I was wondering what dating a lawyer would be like, you kind of get this horrible image in your head of a womanizer, but then again I watch to much tv.

Ah, yes but this is modern times and the practice of law is not restricted to only men-- I have also known several successful women lawyers, who are as tough as the men. I think many lawyers are not especially romantic, and tend to view relationships as to how they might benefit their careers (business savvy.)

I must remember to re-evaluate my intended purpose.

Yeah I know you're probably right about a lot of women too, but that is still depressing.  Considering for the next three years and beyond I'm going to be surrounded by lawyers not being able to date any will suck. 

Why are you so sure you won't be able to date any?

I don't know, so far the idea doesn't seem to appealing.
Time to commit: American
They like me: American, Loyola, Santa Clara, U of OR, U of Hawaii
They love me ($):Pepperdine, U of SF, Northeastern, Seattle, Lewis and Clark
Aren't ready to commit: U of Wisconsin, U of Maryland
B@stards won't return my calls: U of San Diego
F#ckers: Hastings

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2005, 11:11:10 PM »
If you date a lawyer, you're f**cking smart. True, they're boring as hell, but they do have money!

I suppose the fact that I want more than financial security out of a relationship makes me stupid.  So be it.  I would rather have love over money any day.

NoelleMyBelle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2005, 12:28:24 AM »
I'm not sure why you all think it's not possible to love a lawyer....do you see yourselves as unlovable?

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AllisonAzee
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2005, 12:53:13 AM »
Oh I'm not talking that deep. I mean sure there are good guys out there that are lawyers, but after seeing some of the posts on this thing from guys who say how they don't date other girls in law school because those girls think that being smart and accomplished somehow compensates for them not be hot.  So they date undergrads who worship them and don't demand or expect much.  I mean the dating pool just seems as though it could be a little limited in terms of datable men in law school, unfortunately.
Time to commit: American
They like me: American, Loyola, Santa Clara, U of OR, U of Hawaii
They love me ($):Pepperdine, U of SF, Northeastern, Seattle, Lewis and Clark
Aren't ready to commit: U of Wisconsin, U of Maryland
B@stards won't return my calls: U of San Diego
F#ckers: Hastings

birddog

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2005, 02:13:05 PM »
First of all, don't use this board as a measuring stick for lawyers or law students - not like this at all in law school (well, not everyone is like this...)

Second, I fell in love in law school and I love dating a lawyer.  I think that most lawyers either like being with other lawyers or can't stand it.  For us it's nice because we talk about law and politics a lot and we both understand where the other is coming from.  I don't know how I'd date someone that wasn't a lawyer and who didn't have the same background learning as I do.  I know it sounds cliche, but law school really does change the way you think.

OTOH, some people don't ever want to talk about law and prefer dating a non-lawyer for that reason.  Just depends on what kind of person you are!

NoelleMyBelle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2005, 11:18:15 PM »
I found that, even though other people still refer to him as "the lawyer," it really doesn't matter.  Sure there are all the advantages mentioned in the above post...but I could see myself dating a non-lawyer.

Oh wait...I mean I could have.  See, now I don't think of this particular guy as a lawyer so much as I think of him as the man of my dreams and my best friend.  I love being able to talk politics and law stuff, too, but I firmly believe that I fell in love with the person he is, not his legal education. 

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2005, 11:55:27 AM »
Personally, I can't imagine being married to a lawyer.  I suspect it will be different when I get out of law school, but right now my husband is sometimes the only thing/person in my life that kicks common sense back into my head and keeps me grounded.