Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Attending!  (Read 13682 times)

jolyssa

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Attending!
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2005, 10:45:03 PM »
Are you hoping to work in California?

bdc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2005, 10:48:34 PM »
im not completly sold on one place.  I didnt get into any cali schools but my dilema is that I was also accepted into Suffolk.  now I liked that school and absolutly loved Boston.  but I liked Syracuse as a school more and I liked the programs at Syracuse more.  it is also ranked two tiers higher.  so basicly, Syracuse has everything for me except location.

jolyssa

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2005, 10:56:44 PM »
Yeah, same for me. 

I'm going to see if I can try to get time to visit, although a visit now won't be representive of the killer winters.  :)

mm

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2005, 11:08:22 PM »
bdc,

Have you looked at the school catalogue and the listing of employers at the back. I don't have it with me, but I think i recall a number of Cali employers. I think if you want to work outside upstate NY, its not an impossibility, but i am sure the individual will have to put in a lot more leg work and use connections (not that upstate ny'ers wouldn't, but ...)

As for the weather, coming from the same geographic area, its true, its cold.  You don't spend a lot of time outside and invest in a good coat. Just try to get used to the idea of studying by the fire ...

mm

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2005, 04:41:34 PM »
Syracuse can't really be that much warmer that Minnesota?

bdc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2005, 08:44:06 PM »
im concerned about the weather.  from southern california to artic Syracuse- it might be a slight temperature change.  my biggest concern is not being able to travel with a Syracuse degree because I dont want to stay in upstate ny after grad.

mm

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2005, 09:47:37 PM »
Oh, sorry ttiwed.  Me dumb.  I know how you feel though - I am coming from Canada, so there will be little adjustment for me - though Syracuse does get a lot more snow than Toronto.

bdc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2005, 10:25:13 PM »
MM,

yes, O have looked at the "selected Employers" section in the catalog.  It lists employers who have sought of hired Syracuse grads.
to me that could mean just about anything-  did they accept a resume from a Syracuse grad?  is that enough to get them on the list.If I was a lawyer for ten years and made a lateral move to the west coast I think that would be enough to be on the list.  what I would really like is to see a list of grads who sought employmentoutside the region and the % of those who were successfull. I dont necessarily want to move only to the west coast.  I wonder if Syracuse is portable enough to get a job in say Boston. Any thoughts?

mm

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2005, 10:30:05 PM »
Didn't know that was how it was worded - going to check it out.  Have you talked to the admissions people about this.

I have a feeling if you were looking to practice in Boston, it would be better to go someplace like Suffolk.  What other schools are you looking at?

mm

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2005, 10:39:22 PM »
Bdc,

You quite possibly have seen this before

Geographic Distribution
A survey of the Class of 2004 shows the following geographical breakdown:

New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT) 4%
Middle Atlantic (*NY, NJ, PA) 59%
Midwest (IL, IN, MI, OH, WI, IA, KS, MN, MO, NE, ND, SD) 7%
South Atlantic (DE, DC, FL, GA, MD, NC, SC, VA, WV) 15%