Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: anyone decided on american for '05?  (Read 16426 times)

larkin

• View Profile
Re: anyone decided on american for '05?
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2005, 10:49:46 AM »
By no means is this definitive, but check it out.  On the Fall 2005 schedule there are NO classes on Fridays. Well, that is, with the exception of some random Lawyer Bargaining class that we wouldn't be taking anyway.

http://www.wcl.american.edu/registrar/coursesapp/searchcourse2.cfm?time=fall_2005

This doesn't say anything about our schedules, but maybe, going by this, they just don't like to have class on Friday. 

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AllisonAzee
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2005, 02:50:20 AM »
Yeah I remember them giving some sort of reasoning, of course I can't remember.  But I think it was along the lines of the 2L and 3L's were off working and that sort of thing so much it worked better for the schedules to get all the classes in M-T.  I was there on a Friday and even though there were no classes there were tons of students around, studying and that sort of thing so I don't think it's quite as great as it sounds, but still 3 days a week to sleep in.
Time to commit: American
They like me: American, Loyola, Santa Clara, U of OR, U of Hawaii
They love me ($):Pepperdine, U of SF, Northeastern, Seattle, Lewis and Clark
Aren't ready to commit: U of Wisconsin, U of Maryland
B@stards won't return my calls: U of San Diego
F#ckers: Hastings

larkin

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2005, 10:42:57 AM »
A few things:

I hope there is no class on Friday. 

Did everyone get this LAP Summer Workshop thing?  What is it?  Do I want to even do it?

It is lame that we are "forbidden"  to work during 1L.  It would have been nice to work, if only for 5-10 hours.

iamajd2b

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2005, 01:54:05 PM »
I just finished my first year at American (though in the evening program).  American is super-friendly and not overly competitive.  Dean Grossman comes in and makes a speech at orientation and says "none of this look to the left of you, look to the right of you stuff."  They genuinely want everyone to succeed.  The legal rhetoric classes are absolutely no joke and extremely time consuming, but by the time you finish them, you will KNOW how to do legal research.  Most professors are excellent, though I had one this past semester who was almost senile.

All of that said, I'm transferring to Georgetown next year.  Why?  Because I can.  Though I have no regrets about my choice, I will miss American.

Amaraya

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2005, 12:52:35 PM »
A few things:

I hope there is no class on Friday. 

Did everyone get this LAP Summer Workshop thing?  What is it?  Do I want to even do it?

It is lame that we are "forbidden"  to work during 1L.  It would have been nice to work, if only for 5-10 hours.

I got that workshop thing too.  I think I'm going to do it.
It couldn't hurt and it doesn't cost anything extra.

If I remember correctly, we are allowed to work during 1L.  Just not more than 20 hours a week.  So 5-10 hours would be ok.  ;)
Ave Maria School of Law
Class of 2008

HoyaParanoia

• View Profile
Part-timers?
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2005, 04:13:44 PM »
Anyone else in the part-time division at American?

I just got in off the waitlist to the evening section.  I was initially planning on going to Brooklyn Law, but I want to stay in DC (went to undergrad here, worked here for 2 years), so I pulled the trigger and sent in my seat deposit.

weinmatt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2005, 11:34:09 PM »
on the schedule end, the fall 2005 schedule doesn't have any of our classes listed... i spoke to the registrars office about schedules (wanted to get SOME idea of what my schedule would be like), and they referred me to look at previous semesters.

The trick is that yes, AU pairs you into 4 "teams" and you take all your 1L classes with your team. Thus, I think if you look, there are 001, 002, 003... etc for each of the classes we take, and i think the 001, 002, 003... etc is the "team" number so you can draft a fake schedule.

But, you don't pick your team, they do. I believe that you can make "requests" for preferred class times, etc, when they send the registration sheet, but thats about it.

crogers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2005, 09:09:04 PM »
Hi, I am an incoming full timer at American too.  My understanding, looking at the course list on the website for fall 2005, is that those courses are pretty much for the part timers, a program that only runs M-Thursdays.  It doesn't seem to list any first year FT clases that I can see.  But here's to three day weekends - cheers.

I'm also applying to the LAP thing.  While I'm not eager to get started two weks early, two extra credits could be totally worth it.