Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: anyone decided on american for '05?  (Read 15964 times)

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AllisonAzee
    • View Profile
Re: anyone decided on american for '05?
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2005, 04:29:30 PM »
That's cool, yeah I didn't really realize you could do a semester program in law school, I thought it was pretty much only summer, but I guess in the 2nd and 3rd year you're pretty much free to do what you want. That might be a good idea because then you won't miss out on all the recruiting stuff that happens during summer jobs.
Time to commit: American
They like me: American, Loyola, Santa Clara, U of OR, U of Hawaii
They love me ($):Pepperdine, U of SF, Northeastern, Seattle, Lewis and Clark
Aren't ready to commit: U of Wisconsin, U of Maryland
B@stards won't return my calls: U of San Diego
F#ckers: Hastings

Cyrus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2005, 03:44:40 AM »
For sure going to American. I'm from California too. Hopefully moving to DC mid-late summer. I haven't visited yet, but since I was deciding between American and Loyola back home, it really doesn't matter at this point. The idea of living in DC makes me feel capital (punny). I'm excited, although I hear WCL is not really in the heart of the city - a mapquest search corroborated aforementioned claim. I'm kind of nervous about moving so far away from home, the bay area was always an hour flight away from LA, and even then there were always friends around. Anyone else share the same anxiety? I haven't gone to any admit day events, and I decided to come on this discussion bored looking for more people like me. Here's to one heck of first year!- (I just took a shot...[no i didn't]).

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2005, 08:11:15 PM »
Hey I was actually in almost the same boat.  My decision came down to Loyola and American too.  I live in Santa Barbara right now so it's a huge move for me too.  American definitely isn't in the heart of DC, but it's in a very nice, if very boring, part of town.    I'm definitely a little freaked out about moving so far away, especially since its not like college and I actually have furniture and a car.  I sort of figured either way I'm moving and whether its an hour or two away or the other side of the country the only real difference will be I'll get to see my friends here a little more often.  Still have to move, still won't know anyone, sure it would have been easier, but other than that it all kind of boils down to being the same.

Cyrus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2005, 08:40:07 PM »
Yea, I'm bringing my car, I have to look into getting a street permit I suppose. I'm actually in the process  of selling all of the neat-o furniture I've accrued throughout college. All i need in DC is a desk, bookcase, and a SUPER comfortable bed. Ya know i was just thinking about this bed issue: You're investing tens of thousands of dollars in law school, might as well spend a few hundred dollars on a plush sleeping arrangement no? I figure 6 hours of GREAT sleep a night is better than 6 hours of terrible sleep on a futon. Nightmare scenario: Get terrible sleep a few nights in a row because you got that free hobo-tastic mattress off of craigslist, catch a cold as a result of your weakened immune system, fail your exams, get kicked out of school and get a job at the carwash.  Hmmm perhaps one of those foamy squishy mattresses...

Cyrus

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2005, 11:31:45 PM »
I believe there was a question about summer prep courses for first years. I asked an American student through the admitted students webpage and he left me a voicemail saying "I spoke to my professors about the prep-courses and they all said that the companies only exist because they know they can get kids to pay the thousand dollars (afterall you're already spending so much). For the most part they are a rip-off and a waste of time." (paraphrased) I also asked about competition at American and he said that the people are very friendly, and that it has a very relaxed atmosphere. The reason why I asked was because I had heard terrible things about UC Hastings. Hope this is helpful.

Amaraya

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2005, 01:22:10 PM »
Hi, everyone!

Looks like I'll be attending American this fall too.  I'm from Northern Virginia and graduated from George Mason a couple years ago.  I'm working on figuring out how to finance law school with lousy credit.

Question- anyone know when to expect our schedules?  One of the students at the Accepted Applicants event told me the school completely sets up class schedules for 1Ls.  I'm anxious to know what times I'll be in class.

Thanks and see you all soon!   ;)
Ave Maria School of Law
Class of 2008

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2005, 12:02:58 AM »
I might be remembering this wrong, but I think I asked that on my tour and classes start about 10 and I don't think there are any classes on Fridays.

larkin

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2005, 10:05:39 AM »
I might be remembering this wrong, but I think I asked that on my tour and classes start about 10 and I don't think there are any classes on Fridays.

Start at 10?  None of Fridays?  Nice!

Groovyju

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2005, 05:20:26 PM »
i was just looking on the class schedule, and for fall 2004, it looks like there were friday classes..and the earliest one was 9:00. For spring semester though, there were no fridays listed, so maybe it's a new change..which would be great! 

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2005, 01:46:55 AM »
Well I did go to the admitted students day on like no sleep because I took the red eye, so I may be off.  Maybe it's just spring with no classes on Friday, because there were no classes on when I was there and I remember them mentioning that and how they sort of get three day weekends, but then again that might be for 2L and 3L's.