Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: anyone decided on american for '05?  (Read 15989 times)

Groovyju

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: anyone decided on american for '05?
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2005, 11:28:12 AM »
I've been looking into housing a lot lately too.  I'm kind of with you Allison...even though northwest DC doesn't seem as busy as downtown, I really want live close to campus during the first year.  I don't want to live in their oncampus apartments because they're ridiculouysly expensive.  I've been searchign on their off campus housing, but it doesn't seem that updated yet.  I didn't know that we couldn't park on campus the first year. Is that on their website? 
I figure after the first year, people will move out to more fun areas like Adams Morgan and what not...but for now, tenleytown it is. 

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AllisonAzee
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2005, 11:34:48 AM »
Yeah they told tht to us at teh admit day.  You can park on the main campus (and it costs a lot) and then walk about 15 minutes your first year, but the parking lot is only big enough for 2L and 3L's.  So it's either drive and walk or take the metro and then take a bus.  I'd rather be close, especially with all the books and laptop.
Time to commit: American
They like me: American, Loyola, Santa Clara, U of OR, U of Hawaii
They love me ($):Pepperdine, U of SF, Northeastern, Seattle, Lewis and Clark
Aren't ready to commit: U of Wisconsin, U of Maryland
B@stards won't return my calls: U of San Diego
F#ckers: Hastings

JS1982

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2005, 12:48:25 PM »
I'm around 85% sure I'll be there in the fall.  I'm visiting this weekend and something would really need to put me off to deter me.

Anyone heard anything about nice places to live there?

Also, anyone planning on taking one of those first year prep courses?

larkin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2005, 02:12:14 PM »
I think, if you are looking into housing, you need not limit yourself to Tenleytown.  One metro stop this way or that should not be too bad.  The only problem is that the school is not too close to the Tenleytown stop.  But I would say look into living in Friendship Heights or Van Ness/Cleveland Park.  If you find a nice place, it should not take too much longer to get to class/campus/whatever.  If you could find a place in Tenleytown, within walking distance, obviously that would be the most convienent thing.  Honestly, there is nothing to do in Tenleytown, but that probably shouldn't matter so much, considering how much work there might be, and the fact that there are plenty of things only a few metro stops away.  Depending on where you live, you might be able to find parking on the street, but I wouldn't count on it.

The only real problem I could forsee, if anyone wanted to live nearby, is cost, but that is only if you want a place to yourself.  Actually, the only places that might be cheaper are probably in MD or VA, and even those are not so inexpensive.   

I'm looking into, hopefully, renting out a room in a house, so I can live with some people, and it will cut the costs a bit. 

larkin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2005, 12:14:25 AM »
I seem to have gone crazy posting on here, but I still have a bunch of questions.

Here's one, if anyone is interested.

Is anyone here planning to study abroad?  I just wanted to get some ideas on the matter and what not.

larkin

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2005, 11:02:44 PM »
Anyone around?

Groovyju

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2005, 02:17:39 PM »
hey, actually i'm really interested in studying abroad and American seems to have some really great opportunities. 
I wish some more people would start posting on here as decided! 

larkin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2005, 03:21:36 PM »
The problem I now have is attempting to decide between places. All of my choices will probably change a million times from now until I go.  I'd really like to go to Turkey next summer though.  And somewhere for a semester, and maybe an international externship or something.  Any places you have in mind?

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AllisonAzee
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2005, 10:06:48 PM »
There South American program looked really good.  I want to study abroad, but I'm not sure if it would be a better idea to work during the summer. 
Time to commit: American
They like me: American, Loyola, Santa Clara, U of OR, U of Hawaii
They love me ($):Pepperdine, U of SF, Northeastern, Seattle, Lewis and Clark
Aren't ready to commit: U of Wisconsin, U of Maryland
B@stards won't return my calls: U of San Diego
F#ckers: Hastings

Groovyju

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2005, 01:17:28 PM »
yea...i'd consider one of the summer programs if I dind't have a job for the summer, but I wanted to try doing a semester program.  I went to spain last summer for a program and the 6 weeks flew by wayy too fast.  American has a spain one, but i think you have to be fluent in spanish, which i'm far from.  I know a lot of other schools let you go to programs from other schools too, so maybe if you find a program that you like at a different law school, you might be able to still get the credits to transfer.  For example, I think the London Law consortium soudns cool.  Aroudn 6 or 7 law schools participate in it, like Kent, IU Bloomington, etc.