Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law Preview  (Read 3658 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
Re: Law Preview
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2005, 05:09:16 AM »

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2005, 05:44:03 PM »
I'll second the advice in Lanya's link about LEEWS.
I also found LEEWS to be a helpful place to start.  You have to take the time to do the program, all of the exercises.  It made me feel like a had a strategy for my midterms amd I was definately calm in the tests themselves because I had a plan.  I wasn't just outlining madly. 

My results at midterm were an A in Civ Pro, A- in Torts, C+ in Contracts, C+ in Property and a B in Crim.  So clearly good results in 2 classes, not so good in others.  But then I went on to fine tune my strategy for each class.  Property was off because I just suck at future interests.  The final was all essay.  Contracts was off because the prof didn't like the way I organized the exam.   That I could fix.  Had an A- average on my finals which is law review at my school.

So I'd say that LEEWS can be a good place to start thinking about your exam strategy.  Add to that good communication with your profs about their preferences (some will tell you what they want, some will keep nasty secrets like the fact that they hate IRAC with a passion, but they really want you to do exactly that only in narrative form) and I think you'd be in reasonable shape for midterms.  LEEWS also helped me because I hate to formally brief, just doesn't help me.  It was nice to hear of an alternative method.

But again, I must stress, you must do the program actively and use it as part of your plan.  I had to develop my strategy from there.  But it was a good jumping off point.     

Mary

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2005, 08:16:19 PM »
To each is own I guess.

I'll second the advice in Lanya's link about LEEWS.
I also found LEEWS to be a helpful place to start.  You have to take the time to do the program, all of the exercises.  It made me feel like a had a strategy for my midterms amd I was definately calm in the tests themselves because I had a plan.  I wasn't just outlining madly. 

My results at midterm were an A in Civ Pro, A- in Torts, C+ in Contracts, C+ in Property and a B in Crim.  So clearly good results in 2 classes, not so good in others.  But then I went on to fine tune my strategy for each class.  Property was off because I just suck at future interests.  The final was all essay.  Contracts was off because the prof didn't like the way I organized the exam.   That I could fix.  Had an A- average on my finals which is law review at my school.

So I'd say that LEEWS can be a good place to start thinking about your exam strategy.  Add to that good communication with your profs about their preferences (some will tell you what they want, some will keep nasty secrets like the fact that they hate IRAC with a passion, but they really want you to do exactly that only in narrative form) and I think you'd be in reasonable shape for midterms.  LEEWS also helped me because I hate to formally brief, just doesn't help me.  It was nice to hear of an alternative method.

But again, I must stress, you must do the program actively and use it as part of your plan.  I had to develop my strategy from there.  But it was a good jumping off point.     

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2005, 10:44:12 PM »
Absolutely.  Everyone learns differently.  It's good to get advice and ideas, but each person needs to make an induvidualized plan.  The LEEWS were one of the things that helped me.  Might not be good for everyone. 

PS- I bought it on e-bay, saved some money.

Mary

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2005, 11:33:25 PM »
Hmm... on the other hand, maybe I should look into it!

Absolutely.  Everyone learns differently.  It's good to get advice and ideas, but each person needs to make an induvidualized plan.  The LEEWS were one of the things that helped me.  Might not be good for everyone. 

PS- I bought it on e-bay, saved some money.

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2005, 12:33:03 AM »
I am already signed up, so hopefully it is useful.  I got a big discount from work so it was not a financial consideration. 

kdeevers

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2005, 07:55:43 PM »
Me too.  Where will you be taking it?

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2005, 08:49:19 PM »
I am taking it in June in LA.  You?

kdeevers

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2005, 10:29:44 PM »
August in NY.  Post back after you've been there a day and let me know how it is :-)

maricutie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2005, 02:54:13 PM »
I too got a nice discount, and will be taking it in either NYC or Boston, both in August.

Are you guys taking them up on their hotel arrangements?