Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Going to Pitt? Me too...  (Read 8969 times)

jomolungma

• View Profile
Re: Going to Pitt? Me too...
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2005, 07:29:42 AM »
I don't work for Mozart, but I do work for the largest residential landlord in New York city, and I'm in housing court every day.  I can definitely tell you that there are a lot of our tenants that hate us.  However, there are a lot that like us, and they live in the same buildings.  So, while reviews are great, and sometimes the only thing you've got going for you, they don't always tell the whole story.  Everyone can get disgruntled now and again.  My wife's grandmother lives in a Mozart building in Pittsburgh and has had no problems for the last 10+ years.  I'm not specifically recommending them, but if you look hard enough you'll find stories from both sides of the aisle about anything.

jomolungma

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2005, 02:53:52 PM »
Well, I'd say that there is probably no other jurisdiction in the country that is as favorable to tenants as New York city.  It's pretty ridiculous actually.  And my organization is run like a corporation because it is, a very large one.  When your portfolio includes two developments that end in "city" and have their own zip codes, you're pretty big.  However, we still run into the same problems that smaller agencies have.  We often fail to show up for scheduled repairs, do shoddy work, mis-apply funds, etc.  I don't think there is a landlord/management agency immune to these things.  The only way to guarantee perfect service is to own your own home, but even then you can be at the mercy of contractors sometimes.  So, my point is, there are stories on either side and if you listen to all of them you may never choose an apartment.  However, due diligence is certainly a must and I wouldn't choose to live in a building that had a larger % of don'ts than do's.

Jaimalia82

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2005, 09:07:11 AM »
Hi everyone!  I finally made my decision to attend Pitt Law, and thought it was time to introduce myself to my new classmates.  My name is Jaime and I graduated from Skidmore College last May.  I grew up in Rochester, NY, and I am very anxious to move out of upstate NY (although I do love it up here).  I spent last summer interning with the NYS Department of Economic Development, and have worked as a Prospect Research Analyst at a local college since September.  My two passions are books and animals (dogs and horses mostly) and I'm a little bit worried about how I will adapt to not riding horses on a daily basis this fall.  I guess I'll be so busy that I won't have to think about it though!

Congrats to everyone on their decisions to attend Pitt, and I look forward to meeting all of you soon!

ShaqChamberneezie

• AOL Instant Messenger - Radek09
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2005, 05:16:19 PM »
If ShadySide is the new Vice City, then I'll feel right at home.  See, I've decided to leave the sunshine, supermodels and sports cars of sunny Miami in order to study law in the perpetual haziness (sp?) of Pittsburgh.  By the way, my name is Aaron.  My parents and entire family are graduates and natives of Pittsburgh who made the best decision of my life by raising me in Miami on Hurricane football.  I've spent a lot of time in Pittsburgh so I'm familiar with the area.  I even have a family member who runs Doc's (a bar) which I've been told is totally necessary to the study of law- pick a good scotch and stick to it.  I just graduated three weeks ago from FIU in Miami after tranferring from UF (couldn't stay there after Spurrier left).  I'm a diehard Steeler fan so I'm looking forward to getting away from the Dolphins although I am now obligated to continue following Dave Wannstedt.  So I just wanted to say what's up from Miami to all my future classmates and make them jealous that I'm spending the summer down here in "Vice City."
- Aaron

jomolungma

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2005, 07:34:48 AM »
pick a good scotch and stick to it
- Aaron

After working on the website for the US importer of The Balvenie scotch, and getting lots of free bottles as a result, I'm permanently hooked to The Balvenie (doublewood preferred) - To quote Ron Burgundy - scotch scotch scotch, i love scotch

DaveTk

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2005, 11:17:09 PM »
Abe Froman???--the sausage king of Chicago??? 

Abe, there is no sales tax on clothing in shadyside, or anywhere else in PA. 

Have you seen Mr. Peterson around? Heard he just put up an events center somewhere around here...