Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NOT FAIR and I'm pissed!!!  (Read 3108 times)

Hates Sermons

• View Profile
Re: NOT FAIR and I'm pissed!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2005, 09:39:02 AM »
Confronting the person after the fact may help in the future, so I agree with you a little, but what about the project being graded now? Whether you confron her or not, it isn't a big deal. She cheated and deserves nothing, especially not courtesy. You can give it to her if you like. Now, on to a seperate issue.

If they are being graded on the content of their work alone, and not AGAINST each other, then it is ok to keep this internal. For example, if we are taking a math class and every test is graded based solely upon the number of correct answers, no matter what anyone else scores. In situations where they are being graded against each other, it is not wrong to speak up about a problem, anonymously or otherwise. Why should the OP have to take a hit on his grade because of some false sense of moral duty. She broke the code, let her die by it. They are adversaries and she is cheating. His outcome will be directly affected by her actions. I wouldn't let someone damage my grades, period. If she is so concerned with being proper, don't cheat in the first place. It is not dishonest to bring the poor behavior of someone else to light. Every grade counts in law school. The diference from between top 50% and bottom 50% could be razor thin, as could the difference between grading onto or being left off law review. Hang her, its the right thing to do, for your own sake.

kristin1644

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2005, 01:25:09 PM »
I'll be your school has an honor code, which actually REQUIRES you to say something if you think someone cheated, and this is cheating.  However, I agree with the people that say the prof will notice.  They look at that stuff VERY closely, because form is part of grading.  In the real world if you don't comply with form for a brief, the court might not accept it, and you can get screwed.  She needs to learn the lesson now before it affects a client down the line, and I'm willing to bet the prof will call her on it.

On the other hand, one person's paper is probably not going to extremely affect your grade.  Let's say, for argument's sake, that she gets the highest grade in the class, and its much higher than anyone else's--the prof probably won't even consider her in the curve, so it won't even matter to you anyway.  Plus there is the whole quality over quantity argument, and just because she wrote more doesn't mean she sounds better.  She might have so much crap thrown in there that the prof gives her a lower grade.  Who knows?

Its a tough call, but just listen to what your gut tells you--if it says to email the prof, do that.  If it says to suck it up and get on with life, then that's the path you should take.  It's all about living with yourself in the end. 

vg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2005, 01:39:09 PM »
HELL Yeah, you email the prof.!  Do so anonymously initially; and if you should find that you got a lesser grade well deserved, I would personally stop in during office hours and disclose you were the individual who sent the letter and speak to moral and ethics and argue how LS is the blossoming root where we as students are to flourish-doing so in a just, ethical way.  Argue then, how is what she did 'ethical' by not comlying with certain rules?  I mean, isn't that what lawyers do, represent parties and argue for and against to opposing who DO NOT comply with rules? Moreover, for lawyers to hold the title of 'officer of the court' lawyers themselves have to be ethically bound, in a manner of speaking.  I'm no rocket scientist, but by what you've stated, it doesn't appear Miss ________ is technically or theoretically ethically bound. So.... You may end up teaching your prof a lesson if you should find that he gave a better grade to that chick.

Man, I hate douches who cheat.  !!!  Take the majority's advice and email.  Do NOT sit on this.  That is just not right.

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2005, 04:14:35 PM »
There is no way that the prof will not notice the margins.  If for no other reason than it will take him/her 2x as long to read the damn thing.  And do not jump to the conclusion that longer and more detailed is better.  My appellant brief was 12 pages in the argument section.  Much shorter than many.  I got an A+.  Concise, logical points are always appreciated by the reader.  The judge I worked for just laughed at 50 page briefs.

That being said, if you really must comment then you look your classmate in the eye and tell her what you think to her face.  Anonymous emails.  How cowardly.  If it is worth it to you to speak to her, then sign your name.  Trust me if you told her, calmly and without invective, your point would be made and she'd be worried that if you'd speak to her, you'd speak to others.  If you think she is wrong then step up.

NoelleMyBelle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2005, 08:10:49 PM »
My writing prof says that he has to pay attention to details to differentiate papers and put them on the curve.  I'd bet that a prof or TA will be making darn sure that your peers followed all the rules on the brief.

They are right about longer not always being better, so I wouldn't worry about your own grade.

Finally, maybe she wasn't cheating...maybe she didn't read instructions.  It's not your job to police everyone's everything.  To me, reporting it isn't reporting cheating, it's reporting an error or failure to follow directions.   Like reporting that she used the wrong citation form or something...they'll catch it. 

zippy_zaboo

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2005, 08:48:38 PM »
...Sure, she/he might have done a small wrong, but wouldn't you be doing another wrong by telling on your fellow classmate? 

Do you attend a law school without an honor code?  Have you taken PR?  Passed the MPRE?

You may personally find it more 'honorable' to face up to the other person, but an anonymous contact is perfectly adequate.  The OP shouldn't have to bear any consequence of being a 'tattletale' as we used to say in grade school; it's not his/her fault that the classmate broke the rules.

EASTWEST

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2005, 11:28:20 PM »
Jesus Christ, you'd think this girl kills puppies from reading some of those posts. Things like that happen all the time in school and in the professional world.Life ain't fair, and sometimes you just have to let the little things slide.

The fact that she manipulated her margins is also very unlikely to affect your grade. Odds are she had to do that because she can't be as concise as profs expect. Lets not underestimate your professors either....they know what's up. Just focus on your own work, and beat her out. Just because we're competing with each other, doesn't mean we have to act like oversensitive animals. Get her back the old fashioned way and get better grades.

Lanya

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2005, 12:04:16 AM »
You may personally find it more 'honorable' to face up to the other person, but an anonymous contact is perfectly adequate. 

I completely agree with that!  I think contacting the person, and letting her know that what you think she did is not right anonymously is perfectly fine.  That way, you'll be really helping her and not just looking out for your self interest.

Jesus Christ, you'd think this girl kills puppies from reading some of those posts. Things like that happen all the time in school and in the professional world. Life ain't fair, and sometimes you just have to let the little things slide.

Ofcourse, they do.  That's why I'm so upset, when I wrote my previous post.  I have encountered this before in various situations, I expect it, and (unfortunately) I have to adjust to it by being more mean and conniving than I would ever want to be.  This is unfortunate though, which is why I may sound so upset.  Another thing that really upsets me is that this kind of "back stabbing" is really predominant in American culture.  I've been living here for a long time, I love this county, and this really makes me sad.  I perfectly know (now) that this is the inexcapable reality, but it still makes me sad.  I think it's not right, so that's why I wrote what I did.  It's only my personal opinion.  Feel free to disagree.

NoelleMyBelle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2005, 12:11:06 AM »
Please, please, please...if you're going to "tell on" this person don't do it anonymously.  I know that I would feel really creeped out by someone anonymously emailing me to tell me that I did something wrong on my brief.  Furthermore, I can't imagine the that profs are comfortable with anonymous emails.

Did everyone get this person's brief or was it just you?  If it was just you, then the prof is going to know who it was anyway.  The professor is going to notice this whether you bring it to someone's attention or not....I don't think it's cheating when you do something so readily apparent, it's just doing the assignment incorrectly. 

joe

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2005, 02:12:51 PM »
Have you been a snitch all of your life?

You may personally find it more 'honorable' to face up to the other person, but an anonymous contact is perfectly adequate. 

I completely agree with that!  I think contacting the person, and letting her know that what you think she did is not right anonymously is perfectly fine.  That way, you'll be really helping her and not just looking out for your self interest.

Jesus Christ, you'd think this girl kills puppies from reading some of those posts. Things like that happen all the time in school and in the professional world. Life ain't fair, and sometimes you just have to let the little things slide.

Ofcourse, they do.  That's why I'm so upset, when I wrote my previous post.  I have encountered this before in various situations, I expect it, and (unfortunately) I have to adjust to it by being more mean and conniving than I would ever want to be.  This is unfortunate though, which is why I may sound so upset.  Another thing that really upsets me is that this kind of "back stabbing" is really predominant in American culture.  I've been living here for a long time, I love this county, and this really makes me sad.  I perfectly know (now) that this is the inexcapable reality, but it still makes me sad.  I think it's not right, so that's why I wrote what I did.  It's only my personal opinion.  Feel free to disagree.