Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NOT FAIR and I'm pissed!!!  (Read 3219 times)

IHEARTLS

• View Profile
    • Email
NOT FAIR and I'm pissed!!!
« on: April 05, 2005, 02:49:00 AM »
For our Appellate Briefs, we are required to have 1 inch margins on all sides.  However, when opposing counsel gave me her brief, her bottom margin was clearly set at 1/2 inch or less!  What does that mean?  It means that she could get more than 20 pages of information into her brief!!!  What does that mean?  That means that her brief is more detailed and developed than anyone else in the class, which means that she might get a better grade!

Furthermore, I could tell that she manually typed the page numbers.  This is not fair and pisses me off. 

I know that the professor will read her brief, but will he notice that she did not comply with the rules???

What a female dog!!!

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
Re: NOT FAIR and I'm pissed!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 09:03:13 AM »
If it will affect your grade in anyway, I would send an anonymous email to the prof.

fooseball22

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 09:15:31 AM »
I thought the best briefs were as short as possible?

joe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 10:47:26 AM »
Welcome to law school! ;D

For our Appellate Briefs, we are required to have 1 inch margins on all sides.  However, when opposing counsel gave me her brief, her bottom margin was clearly set at 1/2 inch or less!  What does that mean?  It means that she could get more than 20 pages of information into her brief!!!  What does that mean?  That means that her brief is more detailed and developed than anyone else in the class, which means that she might get a better grade!

Furthermore, I could tell that she manually typed the page numbers.  This is not fair and pisses me off. 

I know that the professor will read her brief, but will he notice that she did not comply with the rules???

What a female dog!!!

rezipsa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 12:05:01 PM »
As they say...

"If you're not cheatin', you're not tryin'"

But seriously, it is quality and not quantity.  Do you seriously think that a judge (or a prof) will take their time and read every detail of your brief?  I've had some profs who are also judges and they have told me that the longer the brief, the more they "skim."

IHEARTLS

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 12:10:12 PM »
If it will affect your grade in anyway, I would send an anonymous email to the prof.

You think so?  You don't think that it will be seen as tattling and being petty?  You are probably right b/c I bet if she or her friends had dirt on me, they would notify administration. 

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 12:33:28 PM »
If you send an anonymous email, he won't know who in the class sent it, so no one will know it is you, who is tattling.

Look, in the real world (been working for 10 years now), you will run into people like this all the time.  People trying do or use something unfairly (but not necessarily illegal) to get ahead.  And normally, that's not a problem. You know, you let it pass, and move on.  You know who not to do your projects with, who to trust or not to trust, and you have your guard up next time. 

But when the things these people do becomes a reflection on your own performance, that's where you have to draw the line.  Am I willing to get fired or passed up on a promotion over the other person's unfair dealings?  HELL NO. If it was fair, and I got fired or passed up on a promotion, then fine.  But if it's because someone else did something shady, then it's unfair. 

In your case, if you feel it's not going to affect your grade and you are just personally pissed because you think it's not ethical or moral, then don't worry about it.  Don't fret over this because it bothers you personally.  If that's the case, just blow it off and move on. 

But, if you think it will cause you to have a B instead of a well deserved A or the difference between law review or not, and it was because of what this other student did, not because of your own performance, then bring it up to your teacher anonymously.

Like I said, you will run into this throughout your life.  If it just bothers you because it bothers you, move on.  But if it will affect your well being, being grades or promotion or job, then take charge and fight for what is rightfully yours.

Just my 2 cents.

You think so?  You don't think that it will be seen as tattling and being petty?  You are probably right b/c I bet if she or her friends had dirt on me, they would notify administration. 

squarre

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 03:09:09 PM »
Honestly man if you notice it that easily I am willing to bet your professor will as well.  We had the same margin requirements and on a rough draft I accidently had the margin at 1.2", and the professor noticed and told me to check my margins.  At least at my school complying with the format counted for 12 raw points on our grade so I bet they will check. 

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 03:55:14 PM »
Honestly man if you notice it that easily I am willing to bet your professor will as well.  We had the same margin requirements and on a rough draft I accidently had the margin at 1.2", and the professor noticed and told me to check my margins.  At least at my school complying with the format counted for 12 raw points on our grade so I bet they will check. 
Same here. I had my margin messed up for a draft and the prof made sure that I was aware of it. I imagine this person will pay for it.

Lanya

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2005, 05:50:14 AM »
Here's my honest opinion:  I think that e-mailing your professor about this fellow student who had smaller margins is a stab in the back and wrong from a moral point of view.  Sure, she/he might have done a small wrong, but wouldn't you be doing another wrong by telling on your fellow classmate?  And do you really need to do this, when the professor will see the margins himself/herself and notice it, when it's so obvious?  You're so upset, yet wouldn't you be lowering yourself to their level if you acted this way?

Here's what I think you should do: send the anonymous e-mail to the person who you think cheated.  I am sure that after that e-mail, he/she will feel very bad, realize that it was obvious that the margins were made too small, and will never do it again.

Sorry, but I really have no respect for people who, when they have a problem with someone, don't have the courage to confront that person face to face (because they either don't have the guts or because they worry so much about their own skin) and instead try to bring that person down behind their back through tattle-tailing and back stabbing.  If you have a problem with a person, sure, go ahead, tell on them, but have the courage and dignity to confront them yourself first and be honest.  If you can't handle that, maybe you should just keep quiet and do your own thing.