Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Opinion of BC April 1st Open House  (Read 4775 times)

funnyfunny

• View Profile
Opinion of BC April 1st Open House
« on: April 04, 2005, 05:36:20 PM »
Who else attended the Open house on April 1st?  What did you think?  Will you be attending?  I had already sent in my deposit before the Open House and plan to attend in the Fall.

draino

• View Profile
Re: Opinion of BC April 1st Open House
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 08:16:39 PM »
I thought it was dope for the most part.  Most of the prospectives I met all seemed pretty cool and I definitely dug most of the current-students I met.  I was most curious just to meet the other accepted students just because there seem to be a lot of dumb-asses on these boards that are going to some very high ranked schools and I'm really hoping to not go to law scool with a bunch of dumbasses...none of the prospectives I met came across as openly-stupid, and in-fact, most seemed very sharp and were doing some very cool things currently.  Building was nice...I went back on Saturday and did my own self-guided tour, finding the crappy student-org offices that they neglected to show us on our guided tour.  The guy that taught my mock class was really good (I was in the M-Z group).  I was a little ill with the packet that career services handed out...full data on summer placement but no mention or even way to determine %-reporting for the graduate placement.  I'm psyched overall...just need to decide on a neighborhood now.

funnyfunny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 11:14:23 PM »
I thought it was dope for the most part.  Most of the prospectives I met all seemed pretty cool and I definitely dug most of the current-students I met.  I was most curious just to meet the other accepted students just because there seem to be a lot of dumb-asses on these boards that are going to some very high ranked schools and I'm really hoping to not go to law scool with a bunch of dumbasses...none of the prospectives I met came across as openly-stupid, and in-fact, most seemed very sharp and were doing some very cool things currently.  Building was nice...I went back on Saturday and did my own self-guided tour, finding the crappy student-org offices that they neglected to show us on our guided tour.  The guy that taught my mock class was really good (I was in the M-Z group).  I was a little ill with the packet that career services handed out...full data on summer placement but no mention or even way to determine %-reporting for the graduate placement.  I'm psyched overall...just need to decide on a neighborhood now.

Yeah,  I think the Open House really helped me to finalize my decision to attend.  My only concern is housing.  I plan on attending the housing fair in June, which is going to be a huge pain because I have to travel from Ohio (once again). 

yale05

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 11:07:46 AM »

Its been a long time since I attended the admitted students day last spring, but I was pretty impressed. Coming from Yale, I had a very tough frame of reference, but BC seemed to be the most impressive school I visited. Vanderbilt was great, but TN was not my kind of town. The placement stats for Vandy did not help; too much emphasis on Southern placement. One 3L I spoke with told me to attend another school if I want to work in the Northeast, as Vandy is a school that places extremely well in the southern region, but not the northeast.

I had a tough time deciding between BC and GWU. GWU was very impressive as a whole; the admitted students day was well run. However, the law school was just too big, while the building and the staff seemed much too small to support such a large student body.

In the end, it was the admitted students days that helped me make my decision. I really liked the feel of BC. The location seems like a great oasis to study, similiar to what I loved about my undergrad. I like having the undergraduate campus close by with more facilities to use. I was a little worried about the rankings and BC's drop in the last 2 years, but upon visiting the schools, the admitted students day really gave me a great feeling. I am happy to say that I am excited to attend this fall.

edit: These were the only three schools that I choose to really look at. Attorneys in Boston, NYC, and DC aided my application process, and these were the three schools that they say are well respected in the respective markets and within my acceptability range. I attended the BULS admitted students day, but was not impressed at all, not to mention the amount of attorneys who said that BU should remain a safety school for the schools that I was looking into. I am on waitlists at a number of top schools, but as it is July, I feel that BC will be my LS for the next year at least.

cultleader

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 12:24:53 PM »
It seems that you guys here will greatly enjoy the life of BC Law. I hope I will too.
I couldn't attend Open house, Housing fair or anything. But reading the postings here reaffirmed my commitment to BC.

DeltaTauKyle

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hrm, I look pasty...must be engineering.
    • ICQ Messenger - 272630
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DeltaTauKyle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 01:50:41 PM »
I totally agree.  I was skeptical at first due to the rankings drop, and it was compounded by the fact that I couldn't make it to Boston (Austin to Boston is a tad expensive).

However, everyone who has posted has really helped give me a good sense of the BC atmosphere, and I'm confident I made the right choice.
BC Law '08
Summer IP Intern