Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: So who is going to Hofstra?  (Read 23093 times)

kdeevers

• View Profile
Re: So who is going to Hofstra?
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2005, 10:05:16 AM »
Congratulations Hofstralaw!  Yeah the seat deposit was MUCH more than any of the other schools I was accepted to, and they only give you $250 back if you withdraw by June 1st I think.  And the school is quite expensive as well.  I got a partial scholarship, but I will still be going into substantial debt when I'm done. 

Where are you located now? And how many years out of college is several?  I'm three years out of school and dying to go back.

I'm contemplating taking one of those prep courses...still thinking about it...

FOOSE: do you think maybe the next door neighbor prof would consider paying for the apartment for us?  I think that would boost ratings through the roof!

My TShirt was big too...I wear it to sleep. ;D

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2005, 10:23:36 AM »
I'm originally from LI and I'm thinking about moving back with my parents, which will be about a 20-25 minute commute from Hofstra-- is this a crazy idea?

Absolutely not.  One of my friends did exactly that...she went to college and worked a couple years out of state before moving back in with her parents to go to Hofstra.  She saved a lot of money that way so it helped with the debt.  It apparently didn't hurt her academics...she's graduating early with honors, Biglaw job in Manhattan set up already, etc.  The key is time management.
Fed gov't atty

sexonthebeach

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2005, 10:38:35 AM »
I think I would be also getting some form of addiction to the LSD board; however, the fact that my laptop is now dead and I rely solely on campus computer labs helps matters (although it's kicking my butt on this final programming project).  Although when I go to back to work this summer, I'm guessing that I will spend a number of hours here.

I got a XXXXL shirt as well - I stand a whopping 5 foot even, so if I throw on a belt, it passes as a lovely Hofstra law dress for me. 

As for the show, I'm an actress (it was actually between going to acting school and law school), and I can kinda sorta sing, so I could be the actress who psuedo-moonlights as a band member.  Who is also awesome.   ;D

I'm working fulltime at a firm near my home part of the summer, then I'm in a musical for another part of the summer...so I'm really not going to get the opportunity to do a prep course or anything of that nature.  Wish I could, way too many committments. 

kdeevers

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2005, 10:51:40 AM »
LMAO at the Hofstra Law Dress....what made you decide law versus acting?  Just curious.  I ask lots of questions so if you guys ever want to NOT answer one I understand :-)  I can only imagine what it is like being finals time in school now, knowing that you are already in law school.  Must be hard to stay focused.  I'm having focus problems with work which is why I'm on here so much lol.  Sucks about your laptop.  I'm looking into purchasing a Dell laptop for school.  (I have a desktop but I've heard that laptops are essential in law school.)

Linquest: thanks for the info about your friend.  Very encouraging.

(Here I was thinking I was special b/c I got a shirt....lol)

fooseball22

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2005, 11:18:10 AM »
dont feel bad about the shirt being to big, im over 6' and it still makes me look like i'm a 5 yr old. 

For the show, i'd say a great first episode would be us scoffing at our new 'wierd' neighbor and then at the end of the episode we'd find out in some grandious fashion that he/she was a big league law professor back in her/his day.  Then we'd say we were sorry for scoffing at her(him) and then she'd(he'd) say something quasi funny like "its ok...but if it happens again i'll make sure you get F's for the semester"...then we'd all laugh and high five.  I play guit and blues harp so maybe a niche in the show is that we could have a 2 piece band...hot.

In terms of prepping, i'd be wary of those 'law preview' courses.  Instead i'd suggest reading planet law school 2 and doing what atticus falcon suggests.  It seems to be the right path to take.  But hey, if you wanna spend 1k$ to learn how to brief a case, i say go for it.

sexonthebeach

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2005, 12:18:20 PM »
Well, I started in acting as kind of a whim thing.  I took a class as an arts requirement at school, and my professor saw some sort of potential in me.  He encouraged me to pursue it further, so I did.  I've been very lucky in the opportunities I've had so far with acting, but at the same time, it's a depressing thought to spend 3 years at a school in an MFA program (plus tons of money - the programs that I was accepted into cost more than law school will), and have no guarantee whatsoever about a better job (or heck, even a better shot at getting an audition).  At the end, acting school was a fun concept to flirt around with (and very ego-boosting for me in terms of the acceptances), but law school is more realistic. 

Plus, at the risk of sounding condescending, a vast majority of the students in these MFA programs were super, crazy artisty kids.  I can handle that in moderation, but three years of that was a frightening prospect for me.   

And yes, concentrating on my finals has been a massive pain...especially when computer programming has developed into the bain of my existence. 

I had a Dell laptop - it was wonderful.  I loved it, until the morning when I went to turn it on, and much to my dismay, never went past the start-up screen.  Mind you, this laptop has lasted through my numerous undergraduate disasters, totaling about three and a half years before its untimely death.  I'll probably get another Dell laptop in a month from now; my mother gets a pretty decent discount off of Dell computers through her job.   

And I'm all about the two piece band.  Definitely hot. 

fooseball22

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2005, 04:07:34 PM »
Man, your parents must have been thrilled with such a practical major…I have to say the life of an actor/actress is not a terribly comfy one in the beginning.  I dated a girl who had been working in off broadway plays for 2-3 years and she still had to double as a waitress and ticket sales person…I think going to law school is a bit more of a ‘sound’ choice.  As for the artsy people, I generally enjoy them, but only the genuine ones.  The poser artsy people are usually easy to pick out because they act super pompously about being artsy and when you grill them on their supposedly artsy point of view they fold like a deck of cards.  Speaking of which, we should get an artsy person for our show, but for the second season…we should probably stick to the core characters during the first season. 

sexonthebeach

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2005, 04:50:36 PM »
Yeah, my parents are most certainly happy about me deciding against pursuing acting as a career.  They've been supportive of acting in general, but they still see it as a "hobby" thing, not as a "rest of my life" thing.  And to be completely honest, I never really could picture myself as a actress for the rest of my life.  It is so emotionally demanding, constantly being "in touch with your emotions" (for lack of a better term).  And there's the money thing - I'm in Equity, so I have to pay working dues with everything, so while I have a minimum salary standard, there's still a crapload of other expenses that go along with it (not to mention the little details like rent, food, etc., etc.).

I completely agree with your sentiment on poser artsy people; my undergrad seems to be filled with them (not just acting majors, but spread across the board).  The students I encountered on my MFA auditions/visits weren't really posers, but they were very tuned into this idea of the "world being a theatre."  It's like they have to "figure" everyone out around them and break things down into tiny little parts until they cannot really recognize what's important and what's not anymore.  Odd situation - you have to spend all your time observing people in acting to become more "in touch", but there comes a point where you lose touch of yourselves.  In large part, that's what I thought about some of the students in these MFA programs...I really didn't want that for myself.   

Yeah, leave the first season for core character development; otherwise, the audience wouldn't have that emotional attachment to the core characters in order to continue for second season. 

fooseball22

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2005, 09:54:51 AM »
Ok, so i've been 'studying' grays anatomy and i think our show has a decent shot if we do 3 major things, 1. Do something sexually racey like sleep with our professors  2.  Be involved with some absurd case that would never happen in real life and then learn something about our client that would really make us 'think'  3.  Have someone do dialogue for the show douggie howser, M.D. style.

Any thoughts?

kdeevers

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2005, 12:09:16 PM »
Hey future classmates  :D Got my verification that my tuition deposit was received, so now it is official....(Also received a Hofstra law decal for my car)

I'm working on getting my financial aid stuff in order now.

They also included a list of things they will need before school starts.  One of them is a passport photo which I thought was interesting...face book maybe?

The apartment search is on hold until taping for the sitcom pilot is complete... lol